Our Creamy Cucumber Salad recipe is a fan favorite over here at The Wooden Skillet. We love how the fresh veggies pair perfectly with the creamy sauce and fresh herbs, making this a refreshing salad on a hot summer day.
The Best Cucumber Salad
Whip up this simple sour cream cucumber salad to accompany your favorite summer meal of pulled pork sandwiches, brats, or burgers. Each bite has the perfect amount of crunch paired with creaminess that will have you and your guests reaching over the picnic table for seconds. It truly is the perfect summer recipe that can be served as an easy side dish or if you’re really loving it, a meal for one. Don’t worry. We don’t tell.
What You Will Need
- English cucumber – The perfect cucumber variety that will keep your salad from getting soggy. This is a pretty large variety of cucumber, measuring about 12 inches long compared to Persian cucumbers, which are only about 5-6 inches long.
- kosher salt & ground black pepper – A small amount goes a long way to enhance all of the flavors.
- sour cream – A light creaminess with a bit of tang throughout.
- mayo – A staple condiment that brings tang and creaminess. Check out our Whole30 recipe to make your own mayonnaise. Or the grocery store variety will work great too.
- white vinegar – Its mild sour flavor is cut with the creamy sauce throughout this side dish.
- fresh dill – An herb with a slightly citrus flavor.
- fresh parsley – A clean tasting herb.
- lemon juice & zest – Adds a refreshing and bright citrus flavor.
- garlic – Just a bit is needed to add a kick of spiciness and nutiness.
- red onion – Adds a nice crunch and its bold flavor pairs perfectly with the mild cream sauce.
How To Make A Creamy Cucumber Salad
Start by assembling and measuring all of your ingredients.
To keep your salad from getting soggy, be sure to place your sliced and cut English cucumbers into a colander with a plate underneath and sprinkle them with some salt in order to draw out excess water. Let the cucumbers sit for 20-30 minutes, tossing occasionally, and pat dry.
While your cucumbers are getting prepped, get your simple creamy dressing ready. Mix together the sour cream, mayo, white vinegar, dill, parsley, lemon juice and zest, garlic, pepper and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl.
Next, add the cucumber slices and onion slices to the sour cream mixture.
Lastly, toss all of the ingredients together so that all of the onions and cucumbers are coated in the creamy sour cream mixture.
Now give this perfect side dish a taste and add additional herbs and seasonings to your liking.
How Long Does Creamy Cucumber Salad Last In The Fridge
This delicious side dish will last between 3-4 days in your refrigerator. Just make sure that you store it in an airtight container.
- Make ahead: Feel free to make this side dish a day in advance and store in the fridge. We promise that it’ll still be crunchy and delicious at serving time.
- Storage: Store leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
- Dairy-Free: Use dairy-free sour cream to make this recipe dairy-free.
Made this cucumber recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Other Recipes You Might Like
- Smoked Baked Beans
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Watermelon Mint Salad
- Crab Pasta Salad
- The Best Egg Salad
Creamy Cucumber Salad Recipe – a light, fresh and flavorful creamy cucumber salad recipe that is the perfect summer salad and side dish!
- 2 english cucumber (cut into half moons, approx. 1/4 inch thick)
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- pinch of salt (to taste)
- 1/2 large red onion, thinly sliced
- Place cucumber in a colander and sprinkle with 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Toss to coat. Place colander over top a plate to catch excess moisture that drips down. Let sit 20-30 minutes tossing occasionally.
- Meanwhile, add sour cream, mayo, white vinegar, dill, parsley, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, pepper and pinch of salt to a large bowl. Stir to combine.
- Once cucumbers have set for a while, pat dry with clean paper towel to dry up as much moisture as possible.
- Add cucumbers and red onion to the sour cream mixture. Toss to combine. Taste and add additional salt, pepper or herbs – as desired.
- Make Ahead: this can be made the day ahead and the cucumbers should still be crunchy – we tested it and it worked great for us! I wouldn’t recommend making it more than one day ahead though.
- Storage: store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days (after that the cucumbers will start to get a tad soggy).
- Dairy-Free: feel free to sub in a dairy-free sour cream to make this dairy-free.
- Serving Size: 4 oz
- Calories: 57
- Sugar: 0.6 g
- Sodium: 309.5 mg
- Fat: 4.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 2.5 g
- Protein: 1.1 g
- Cholesterol: 5.3 mg
Keywords: creamy cucumber salad