This quick and easy Greek Sandwich can be served as a lunch or dinner entrée or as an appetizer slider! It is a great handheld option that is a fun twist on a classic Greek salad. A meatless meal that is packed with flavor!
The Best Greek Sandwich
You guys – why haven’t we thought of this before?! Well, maybe you have, but we absolutely love Greek flavors and can’t believe it took us so long to discover this delicious and easy sandwich recipe! It is a Greek salad mixture, completely re-packaged, and we are loving it. Our Greek Chicken Meatballs and Greek Orzo Salad have been blog favorites for a while. We are so excited to bring you these greek pita sandwiches that your whole family is going to love!
And if you also love traditional Greek flavors, like we do, you definitely have to try our Greek Chicken Bowl!
What You Will Need
- kalamata olives & olive oil – blend these simple ingredients together to make an amazing olive tapenade to spread on this tasty sandwich.
- mayo & Greek vinaigrette – mixed to make another creamy spread that brings so much flavor! Option to use Greek yogurt in place of the mayo, if you want.
- bread slices – this is what we used, but feel free to use focaccia buns, warm pita bread, gluten-free bread, or any other slices of bread from your local grocery store.
- butter lettuce, red onion, cucumber slices, & tomato slices – fresh ingredients that add beautiful color and some great crunch!
- feta cheese – we recommend buying a block of feta cheese and cutting it into thick slices.
- kosher salt & black pepper – simple seasonings that are always a must!
How To Make A Greek Sandwich
The first steps to making this easy recipe are to gather and prep all of the sandwich ingredients.
Next, use a small food processor or blender to pulse the kalamata olives and olive oil into a thick paste. And in a separate bowl, mix together the mayo and Greek vinaigrette. These are the two spreads that will be used on this easy sandwich recipe.
Now it is time to assemble the sandwich. Spread the olive spread on the bottom piece of bread and layer the cheese and remaining ingredients on top. Add a sprinkling of salt and pepper.
Spread a generous amount of the Greek aioli to the second slice of bread and place on top! Definitely one of our all-time favorite sandwich recipes!
Best Ways To Serve A Greek Sandwich
This great sandwich makes a wonderful lunch option all on its own! If you do want to add more to this meal or split the sandwich, it would be great with a Greek Cucumber Salad or a cup of Roasted Greek Lemon Chicken Soup. Perfect for sharing with a friend or partner as a soup and sandwich combination!
Making this recipe card, as written, is out of this world! But, if you are looking to switch things up, you could use tzatziki sauce in place of the Greek aioli or swap out some of the fresh vegetables with any that you have on hand (i.e. red peppers, garbanzo beans, black olives, grape tomatoes, or fresh basil). And if you are missing that protein, feel free to add some cooked chicken breast or gyro meat to make a gyro sandwich!
Absolutely! The two sandwich spreads can be prepped ahead of time and stored separately in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can also prep all the veggies and store in the fridge to use when ready! Or fully assemble this sandwich or pita pockets, wrap in parchment paper or aluminum foil and store in the fridge that way!
Made this delicious recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
A delicious, easy, and flavorful greek sandwich recipe that is perfect for lunch on-the-go!
- 20 kalamata olives, pitted
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons mayo
- 1–2 teaspoons Greek Vinaigrette
- 2 slices whole wheat bread (or 2 small focaccia buns, halved)
- 2 pieces butter lettuce
- 3 oz feta cheese (2 slices)
- 2 slices red onion
- 4–6 slices cucumber
- 1 large tomato, cut into 4 slices
- kosher salt and ground black pepper
- In food processor, combine kalamata olives and olive oil – this is your kalamata olive tapenade. Pulse until spreadable, but still chunky.
- In small bowl, combine mayo and Greek vinaigrette – this is your Greek aioli.
- Take bottom piece of bread and spread the kalamata tapenade – about two tablespoons or so, depending on your taste.
- Place some butter lettuce on top of the olives followed by the feta cheese, red onion, cucumbers, tomato, and then some salt and pepper.
- Spread the Greek aioli (1-2 tablespoons) on the top piece of bread and place on top.
- Yield: this makes 1 sandwich on regular sandwich bread or two sandwiches on small focaccia buns.
- Serving Size: 6 oz
- Calories: 169
- Sugar: 2.7 g
- Sodium: 437.9 mg
- Fat: 11.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.5 g
- Protein: 5.7 g
- Cholesterol: 24.2 mg
Keywords: greek salad sandwich, greek sandwich, sandwich recipe, easy lunch
Originally published August 21, 2016. Photos have been updated and recipe retested and revised.