Dairy Free Hot Chocolate is a delicious and festive holiday treat that is dairy-free and vegan! Make it extra-creamy with coconut milk or use unsweetened almond milk! Naturally sweetened and so good!
Best Dairy-Free Hot Chocolate Recipe
The counter-part to my Ultimate Dairy Free Egg Nog is here!!! This is the most perfectly creamy and delicious hot chocolate recipe EVER and it is dairy free, paleo and vegan! Perfect for those cold Fall and Winter evenings!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Flexible: make it as creamy as you want and feel free to adjust the sweetness.
- Dairy-Free: you won’t miss the dairy here!
- Decadent: if you choose to make it with coconut milk it is so decadent while not being too sweet – truly is a treat!
What You Will Need
- full fat coconut milk: if yours has separated in the can make sure you re-combine before using.
- unsweetened almond milk: this helps thin out the coconut milk just a little bit.
- pure cocoa powder: the chocolatey-goodness!
- coconut sugar: loving using coconut sugar, but if you prefer organic cane sugar that works too, just make sure it fully dissolves.
- pinch of salt: this helps accentuate all the yummy flavors.
How to Make Dairy-Free Hot Chocolate
Grab your ingredients.
Mix together in a saucepan and bring to medium heat.
Keep whisking and letting the coconut sugar dissolve. Taste and adjust, as-needed.
Pour into your favorite mug and enjoy!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Don’t forget to check out my Instagram account for some behind-the-scenes action! Or give me a follow on Facebook or see what I am pinning on Pinterest!
Other Recipes You Might Like
Dairy-Free Egg Nog
Chai Tea Latte
How to Make a Matcha Latte
Creamy Dairy Free Hot Chocolate
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Drink
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Creamy Dairy Free Hot Chocolate – a delicious and festive holiday treat that is dairy-free and vegan!
- 1 can (13.5oz) full fat coconut milk (*see notes)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 heaping tablespoons pure cocoa powder (add more if you want it even more chocolate-ey)
- 2–3 tablespoons coconut sugar (add more or less if you want it sweeter or less sweet)
- pinch of salt
- Place all ingredients in small saucepan on stove.
- Bring to medium heat.
- Whisk ingredients until fully combined and sugar is dissolved.
- Let simmer, while continuing to whisk, for 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately with your choice of marshmallows.
- Coconut Milk: canned coconut milk can separate in the can sometimes, if this happened to your can simply pour out into a bowl and whisk back together or use an immersion blender to re-combine.
- Coconut Sugar: feel free to start with 2 tablespoons, you can always add a 3rd tablespoon later on. If you want to substitute organic cane sugar that works too, but definitely start with 2 tablespoons.
- Less Creamy: If you want it a little less creamy and decadent then you can substitute almond milk for the coconut milk.
Keywords: dairy-free hot chocolate
Originally published November 27, 2018.
So good on this nasty cold evening!
Oooh yes it is SO cold out there – the perfect way to warm up! Glad you enjoyed it!
A wonderfully creamy basic hot cocoa recipe. So easy to throw together! I finished it in the Vitamix with a splash of vanilla extract. I recently had to go dairy free for my eldest. Recipes like this one have made the transition much smoother!! Thanks!
So glad you enjoyed it, Angelie!!
I’ve noticed a lot of recipes call for coconut milk, my question is since I’m allergic to coconut milk what can I use instead?
Hi Lillian – I think a lot of people use full-fat coconut milk in dairy-free hot chocolate simply because of the thicker consistency! If you are allergic to coconut milk you might want to try a cashew milk? The consistency won’t be quite a thick but the flavor should be similar! Hope that helps!
This is so good and it’s perfect for chilly winter days!!
So happy to hear that!!