Dairy-Free Chai Tea Latte – a perfectly sweet afternoon treat! (Paleo/Vegan/Dairy-Free)
Looking for a switch for your afternoon coffee? Might I suggest a chai tea latte?!
Back in the day, a soy chai tea latte from somewhere like Caribou or Starbucks was my go-to treat. Who knows what random ingredients made their way into that little cup – I haven’t had one since I did my first Whole30 almost a year ago. I kind of think I would take a sip and turn my nose up because it was too sweet now!
But I have missed the taste of my favorite drink and every so often I could really go for one, but I know I just won’t like the store-bought kind anymore. Soooo, I naturally got busy in the kitchen and experimented until I found the perfect combo!
Now, I know there are a TON of recipes out there on how you can make your own chai tea …. if you want to do that, seriously go for it. I found it much more efficient to buy a high-quality chai tea teabag so I always have them on hand and I know they will be good for a while. I thought the taste was spot on. But, as always, do what works best for you.
Also, I used almond milk, I would assume you could use really any milk-alternative, but almond milk was the only kind I tested.
You HAVE to use real maple syrup!!! Please don’t use some store-bought/high-fructose “maple syrup” PLEASE! It really makes all the difference.
Finally, I garnished these guys with one of my favorites – meringue! Please feel free to use whipped coconut cream or just go without! Again, do what works best for you. If you want to make the meringue, follow the instructions in this post, but just don’t add the peanut butter or chocolate!
I was so happy to taste of my favorite treats again – but this time I knew exactly what went into it!
I really hope you guys have had a lovely week! We are finally going to have some spring weather this weekend so I cannot wait to get outside this weekend!! Have a good weekend!
A perfectly sweet afternoon treat! (Paleo/Vegan/Dairy-Free)
- 1 Chai Tea teabag (brand of your choice, but you get what you pay for)
- 8 oz boiling hot water
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2–3 Tablespoons real maple syrup
- Let teabag steep in hot water, per package directions.
- In small saucepan, add almond milk and bring to a simmer, moving it around constantly so it doesn’t burn.
- Slowly pour in maple syrup, only 2 Tablespoons at first, whisking fairly constantly, until the maple syrup has fully combined.
- Taste to ensure it is quite sweet (the sweetness will be diluted when the tea is added).
- If it isn’t very sweet, add another Tablespoon of maple syrup and test again (continue until it is sweet).
- Add chai tea to almond milk mixture and ensure the temperature is hot.
- Pour into travel mug or coffee mug and enjoy immediately.
- Feel free to garnish with cinnamon or put a dollop of whipped coconut cream or meringue!
Thank you so much for reading & supporting The Wooden Skillet! This post contains affiliate links for products I actually use in my own home and personally recommend. Should you make a purchase using one of these links, The Wooden Skillet will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you, which helps me continue to bring you great original content. Thank you!