London Fog is a great alternative to hot coffee right away in the morning and just as delicious!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Coffee Alternative: a lot of you know I looove my cold brew coffee, but I also love a good tea latte as well (See: How to Make a Matcha Latte) – they are just as delicious!
- Easy: it’s as easy as making a cup of tea and then topping it with some delicious frothed (dairy-free) milk!
- Warm + Cozy: is there anything more cozy than a hot cup of tea? Love drinking a cup of this on the couch with a good book.
What is a London Fog
A London Fog, also called an Earl Grey Latte, is earl grey tea (you can add a sweetener to it and/or vanilla extract) and then topped with frothed milk (of your choosing).
What You Will Need:
- hot water: you will use this to steep your tea in
- earl grey tea bag: feel free to use a tea bag or loose tea, if that is what you prefer! Both work perfectly here.
- vanilla extract: this adds that little bit of vanilla flavor. You can actually add this right to your milk before your froth it too.
- maple syrup: this adds a touch of sweetness. Of course, you more or less, depending upon how sweet you like it. You can also omit it altogether if you prefer.
- coconut milk: this froths really well (it has a higher fat content than regular almond milk).
- unsweetened almond milk: this helps thin out the coconut milk just a tad – you could use cashew milk, hemp milk or any other kind of dairy-free milk you want here!
Why Do They Call it a London Fog
The exact origin is unknown, but it is believed to have originated in Canada (Vancouver specifically) – you can read more about it here!
How to Make a London Fog
Step One: gather your ingredients
Step Two: make your Earl Grey Tea – you can do this in a mug too if you want one less dish!
Step Three: once you add in your vanilla extract and maple syrup and stir, pour the tea mixture into your favorite mug.
Step Four: froth your milk – I have had this frother for a year or two now and love it!
Step Five: Add your frothed milk to your tea mixture.
Step Six: enjoy!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
London Fog (Earl Grey Latte) – just like Starbucks! An easy and delicious latte that combines sweetened tea and steamed milk!
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 earl grey tea bag (feel free to use loose tea if you prefer)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1–2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3/4 cup coconut milk*
- 2–3 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- Add water to a small saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer and then remove from heat and add tea bag. Let steep.
- Once done steeping remove the tea bag and add in vanilla extract and maple syrup. Stir to combine.
- Meanwhile, add coconut milk and unsweetened almond milk to your frother and froth.
- Pour tea into your favorite mug and then pour the frothed milk on top.
- Skip the Saucepan: you can obviously make the cup of tea however you want – I personally prefer heating my water up in a saucepan – but if you want to warm up your water in the microwave or using a Keurig or similar device, that works too!
- Coconut milk: you can really use any nondairy milk that you have success frothing – this coconut milk works amazing – it is perfectly thick and froths up so nicely! And of course, if you aren’t dairy-free then feel free to use regular milk (whole milk works best).
- Unsweetened Almondmilk – I add this is to water down the coconut milk just a tiny bit – you can also use oat milk here or cashew milk too!
- Maple Syrup: feel free to omit the sweetener if you want. You could also sub in honey or any other sweetener you prefer.
- Frother: I have had this frother for well over a year and really like it. If you don’t have a frother you can always use a handheld one instead – the results are quite as good, but it will get the job done in a pinch!
Keywords: London fog