Melon-Wrapped Prosciutto with Basil – that easy and delicious holiday appetizer you are looking for!
It is officially the holiday season and healthy appetizers are not always easy to find! This Prosciutto-Wrapped Melon with Basil is Whole30 compliant and absolutely delicious!
This weekend was my first of two Thanksgiving Dinners ?. We are spending actual Thanksgiving with my in-laws, so my Mom came down for the weekend to celebrate Thanksgiving together. I was in heaven. Cooking Thanksgiving Dinner in my own house right next to my Mom. It was amazing.
I love how every family has their own personal Thanksgiving menu. Sure, a new item might pop in once in a great while, but I think for a lot of people, those Thanksgiving traditions are just steeped in tradition and I freaking love it. It doesn’t matter if it is healthy or “cool” – it is literally about the fact that you have helped cook and eaten that recipe on Thanksgiving every year for your entire life. You probably don’t even eat these recipes any other day except for Thanksgiving (ahem – my Mom’s stuffing). It is a meal that is filling both emotionally and physically. It is one of my most favorite days.
So, while the dinner is incredibly indulgent and savory and DELICIOUS … people still expect (and need) some amazing apps beforehand (especially if you eat a later Thanksgiving Dinner like we typically do). It is always nice to serve a mix of healthy and maybe not-so-healthy appetizers for people to choose from.
This recipe is for one of my absolute favorite go-to healthy appetizers that is ALWAYS a hit (so is this one). So, so simple and delicious.
I hope you guys are having fun finalizing your menus and I can’t wait to enjoy my second Thanksgiving dinner ?. Have an awesome (short) week!
- 1 ripe cantaloupe
- 2 packages of prosciutto
- approximately 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- Cut cantaloupe into small squares.
- Take a piece of prosciutto and cut it in half lengthwise and across so it is in quarters.
- Take a piece of cantaloupe and wrap it in prosciutto.
- Place a folded basil leaf on top and then push toothpick in to hold all together.
- Note: how many individual appetizers this makes is entirely dependent upon how big your melon squares are. If you cut the melon too big, you will need a whole half of a prosciutto slice to fully wrap the square. Plan accordingly.
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting all things The Wooden Skillet.