Roasted Acorn Squash + Walnuts, Browned Butter and Brown Sugar is an easy side dish for fall that the entire family will love! Perfect for a weeknight meal or Thanksgiving dinner!
Oooh this Roasted Acorn Squash + Walnuts, Browned Butter and Brown Sugar is so good! And so easy! It has to roast for an hour, so I am not necessarily going to say it is quick, but with just a little planning ahead, these can become a weeknight staple. They are low maintenance and the result is some buttery, sweet yumminess that I promise even your picky eaters will love.
Acorn squash is everywhere right now. Nay, squash is everywhere right now. I swear the grocery stores are practically giving them away. They are cheap and so good, especially if you know how to cook’em just right! So next time you are driving your cart around that huge bin of random squash, stop and grab some acorn squash (or really any kind – this recipe really doesn’t have to be used solely and exclusively for acorn squash) and add it to your weekly menu.
To begin you have to crack open these bad boys, which I swear are as hard as actual acorns. Carefully, saw them in half without hurting yourself…. once that is accomplished, remove the seeds and other innards and scrape the inside clean.
Next, fill a deep cookie sheet with about a half inch to an inch of water and place the squash with the meat facing up. Rub some olive oil on the outside, sprinkle with salt and then place a half tablespoon of butter in the middle.
Roast for 30 minutes and then remove and brush the now melted butter all over the outside. Add another half tablespoon of butter to each half along with a half tablespoon of brown sugar.
Roast for another 30 minutes and then remove. Brush the butter all over again. Then add another little sliver of butter to each, another half tablespoon of brown sugar (sprinkling it all over the edges too) and then add a tablespoon of walnuts (or pecans) to the center. Broil on high for about 2-3 minutes, or until the brown sugar begins to just barely turn brown.
Looking for other simple side dishes? Check out our Simple Steamed Broccoli + Lemon and Parmesan Cheese.
- 2 whole acorn squash
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 Teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 Tablespoons butter
- 4 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 Tablespoons walnuts (or pecans)
- Cut squash in half, lengthwise.
- Remove seeds and scrape inside clean.
- Place on deep cookie sheet with 1 or 1/2 inch of water in the bottom.
- Place 1/2 Tablespoon butter in the middle of each.
- Roast for 30 minutes at 375.
- Remove and brush melted butter all over each individual half, even on the outer edges.
- Then add an additional 1/2 Tablespoon butter and 1/2 Tablespoon brown sugar to each half.
- Roast for additional 30 minutes at 375.
- Remove and again brush melted butter all over.
- Add a sliver of butter to each again and another half Tablespoon of brown sugar making sure you sprinkle brown sugar all over including on the outer edges.
- Add a Tablespoon of walnuts to each.
- Broil on high for 2-3 minutes or until brown sugar starts to turn brown.
- Serve immediately.
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting The Wooden Skillet!