These Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes are a quick and easy way to get the most creamy and delicious mashed sweet potatoes in a matter of minutes! You only need 5 real, simple ingredients to make this perfectly sweet side dish. A great option for the best sweet potatoes to serve for your next holiday meal!
Easy & Creamy Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
They are perfect every time! With only 5 ingredients and made in 8 minutes! This is a MUST the next time you have sweet potatoes. Quick and Easy + Delicious and Healthy = the PERFECT side dish! You can scale down the recipe for a smaller group or you can do the full batch for a large crowd. These would make the perfect addition to any Thanksgiving dinner or Christmas dinner. It is a great way to get one of your holiday side dishes out of the oven or off the stovetop in order to make room for all of the other delicious foods!
We also have a quick and easy recipe for making regular mashed potatoes in your Instant Pot!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- So easy: once your InstantPot is up to pressure they only take 8 minutes!!
- Naturally sweet + creamy: the maple syrup provides the perfect amount of sweetness and the coconut milk keeps the texture deliciously creamy.
- Great for a crowd: this amazing side dish does not use the oven or stovetop thus making it perfect for the holidays!
What You Will Need
- sweet potatoes – for this recipe we put them in the Instant Pot peeled and cut into large chunks. If you prefer to keep your sweet potatoes whole we have you covered with this simple tutorial!
- water – you will need enough to cover the amount of sweet potatoes you are making.
- ghee (or butter) – grab the one that works for you! If you are looking to keep it a Whole30/Paleo recipe then you will want to go with ghee.
- coconut milk – this is where you get that creamy texture! Option to use cream or regular cow’s milk if you aren’t concerned with it being dairy-free. (we LOVE this one!)
- real maple syrup – the perfect bit of sweetness and you can add as much or as little as you like.
- salt – just a bit for some added seasoning.
How To Make Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
You can begin by carefully using a vegetable peeler to peel the outside skin off your sweet potatoes. Then use a large chef’s knife and cutting board to cut them into large chunks and place them in your Instant Pot.
Next, pour in just enough water to barely cover the sweet potatoes.
Cook on the high pressure setting for 8 minutes. Manually release pressure immediately (according to manufacturer’s instructions).
Once the pressure has been released you can remove the stainless steel tub and pour into a colander to drain the sweet potatoes and then return the cooked sweet potatoes to the InstantPot.
Now you can use your mixer of choice and mash the sweet potatoes to your preferred consistency. Then add the rest of your ingredients right into the pot.
Continue mashing until you have reached your desired texture and consistency.
How Should I Serve Mashed Sweet Potatoes
The options are endless! You can keep it simple for a regular weeknight dinner and serve them with cast iron pork chops and easy oven roasted green beans. Or make them the perfect addition to your Thanksgiving table with your roasted turkey, green bean casserole, and all the other Thanksgiving side dishes!
Recipe FAQs + Tips:
- Do I need to peel sweet potatoes? – peeling the potatoes are optional, but it will turn out creamier if you do peel them.
- What’s the best way to mix mashed sweet potatoes? – I prefer to use a hand mixer or stand mixer because it makes them more creamy but you could also use a wire potato masher. Do what works for you!
- leftovers – you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 5-6 days.
- Can I make a this for a smaller crowd? – Absolutely! Just cut this Instant Pot sweet potatoes recipe in half to make it for a smaller group of people.
- Coconut milk vs. almond milk – You could use almond milk but I think coconut milk makes it a little more creamy.
- Ghee vs. butter – to keep the recipe Whole30/Paleo you should stick with ghee, otherwise you can use butter too.
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Don’t forget to check out my Instagram account for some behind-the-scenes action! Or give me a follow on Facebook or see what I am pinning on Pinterest!
Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Total Time: 18 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes – a quick, easy and simple way to get creamy and delicious mashed sweet potatoes every time!
- 5–6 medium/large sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon coconut milk
- 1/4 cup ghee (or butter)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Peel the sweet potatoes. Cut each sweet potato into about 6-8 chunks.
- Add potato chunks to your Instant Pot and then add enough water to just barely cover them.
- Secure the cover on your InstantPot.
- Cook on HIGH pressure for 8 minutes.
- Manually release pressure immediately (according to manufacturer’s instructions).
- Drain the potatoes and return to Instant Pot.
- Add ghee (or butter), maple syrup, coconut milk and salt.
- Use a hand mixer to mix.
- Taste and add additional ghee, maple syrup, coconut milk or salt as desired.
- Serve immediately.
- Peeling Potatoes: Peeling the potatoes are optional, but it will turn out creamier if you do peel them.
- Coconut Milk: You could also sub in almond milk here, but coconut milk makes them a little extra creamy. I prefer this carton of coconut milk.
- Ghee: To keep this recipe Whole30/Paleo use ghee, but you can easily sub butter if you prefer.
- Hand Mixer: You could also just use a potato masher here, but I prefer to whip them with a hand mixer. Use whatever you prefer.
- Serving: Feel free to serve with a little extra maple syrup or even some chopped walnuts.
- Storage: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5-6 days.
- Cook Time: The 8 minute cook time does not include the few minutes it will take for the Instant Pot to come up to pressure.
- Halving the Recipe: Feel free to half the recipe for a smaller crowd!
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 76
- Sugar: 6.1 g
- Sodium: 52.4 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.5 g
- Protein: 0.6 g
- Cholesterol: 10.2 mg
Keywords: instant pot mashed sweet potatoes
Originally published October 18, 2020.
Bridget Montag says
Quick and easy! We love having this classic side dish!