Rum-Buttered Nutmeg Logs are a luxurious, shortbread cookie covered in rum-buttered frosting and a dusting of nutmeg.
Rum-Buttered Nutmeg Logs aka “Nutmeg Logs” are a staple in our house during the holidays. I don’t remember ever not having them. They are officially my favorite Christmas cookie, next to Classic White Chocolate + Peanut Butter Dipped Cookies (they are a very close second). No, these are Christmas perfection. And you need to have them on your table.
It is a perfect combination of a light and butter shortbread cookie that almost melts in your mouth with the butter-rum frosting with fresh ground nutmeg sprinkled on the top. It is reminiscent of taking a sip of eggnog, for whatever reason – maybe it’s the nutmeg on top. I don’t know and I don’t care. They are just simple perfection. And so unique – you most likely won’t run into other Christmas cookies quite like this, which is what I also love about them.
Well, you guys, it is almost Christmas….. I can’t believe another year is coming to an end! I hope everyone takes some time to “unplug” this Christmas weekend. I saw a little blurb on Facebook the other day, encouraging everyone to enjoy Christmas like “the olden days,” to focus less of trying to share your family “moments” on social media and to actually be present and enjoy those moments yourself, and it really hit a cord with me. Put down your phone. You don’t need to share every present opening moment on Instagram. Be there yourself and take in the moment. Enjoy your family or whatever company you may keep on Christmas. Enjoy it. Savor it. That is my Christmas wish for all of you – to enjoy your Christmas like its your last. Life is so precious – act accordingly.
Merry Christmas everyone!!! Now go make some Nutmeg Logs 🙂
Roll out your dough:
Cut into logs:
Frost and sprinkle with nutmeg:
- Cookie Dough:
- 3 cups flour
- 1 Teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 Teaspoons vanilla
- 1 Teaspoon rum flavoring or 2 Teaspoon rum
- 3 Tablespoons soft butter
- ½ Teaspoon rum flavoring or 1 Teaspoon rum
- ½ Teaspoon vanilla
- 2½ - 3½ cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 Tablespoons half and half/cream
- In a mixing bowl beat sugar and butter until fluffy.
- Beat in the egg, vanilla and rum.
- Add dry ingredients 1 cup at a time until mixed thoroughly.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour.
- When you are ready to make cookies, take a small chunk of dough and warm slightly in hands.
- Place some flour on a cutting board and roll out dough until it is ½" round.
- Cut into 2½" logs.
- Arrange on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 15-17 minutes.
- Cookies should be slightly brown on the bottom, not on the top.
- Remove from oven and cool on cooling rack.
- Beat together butter and rum or rum flavoring.
- Add ½ cup powdered sugar and beat.
- Gradually add 2-3 cups powdered sugar until of spreading consistency.
- Add 2-3 Tablespoons of half and half and beat in.
- Spread frosting on each cookie and then run tines of fork over the frosting to resemble bark.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg.