Seafood Stock – This step-by-step tutorial on how to make Seafood Stock is simple and has amazing flavor that will really elevate your favorite seafood chowder or stew. You won’t buy store-bought again.
Why You Will Love this Recipe
- Simple – this really is as easy as throwing a bunch of ingredients in a pot, boil, and strain! So simple!
- Use it now or store for later – I personally love that you can use it right away or store it in the fridge or freezer for another day. Such a great way to use those leftover seafood shells!
- Elevate your recipe – homemade stock always takes a recipe to the next level and this seafood stock recipe will do just that!
What You Will Need
- sweet yellow onion
- head of garlic
- white wine (optional)
- kosher salt & black pepper
- fresh rosemary
- fresh thyme
- leftover shrimp and lobster shells
Recipe FAQs and Tips
- How long can I store this stock in the fridge? It can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Can I store seafood stock in the freezer? Fill a mason jar about 3/4 full and place in the freezer for about 4-6 months. It is still safe to eat after 6 months but you might start to notice the quality go down a bit.
- Options for thawing frozen stock: There are a few ways you can do this – in the fridge, in the microwave, or run warm water over the container until it can pop out and then place it in a pot on the stove to warm.
- What types of seafood shells can I use to make stock? For this recipe we used lobster and shrimp shells but you could also use crab, mussel, or clam shells.
Step-By-Step Tutorial on How to Make Seafood Stock
Step One – Combine all ingredients in a large dutch oven.
Step Two – Bring the stock to a boil and then simmer 1-2 hours.
Step Three – Strain the stock.
Step Four – Use immediately or store for later.
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
- water (approximately 8-12 cups)
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 sweet yellow onion
- 1 head of garlic
- 1/4 cup white wine (optional)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2–3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2–3 sprigs fresh thyme
- leftover shells from lobster and shrimp
- Combine ingredients in a large Dutch Oven (I used a 5.5qt).
- Bring to a boil and then cover and reduce to a simmer.
- Let simmer 1-2 hours.
- Taste and add additional seasoning, as necessary.
- Strain and then either use in your favorite recipe or freeze for later use!
- Whole30/Paleo: simply omit the white wine to make this recipe Whole30/Paleo.
- How to Freeze: fill a mason jar approximately 3/4 full and then cover; place in the freezer and use within 6 months.
Keywords: seafood stock, how to make seafood stock