Chorizo and Seafood Wannabe Paella – a summer or winter dish based off of a classic paella recipe, just a little simpler! (Whole30/Paleo)
This is a really fun dish that is perfect for summer or winter!!
Okay I called this Chorizo and Seafood Wannabe Paella because I am not even going to pretend I know how to make classic paella (actually taking a paella cooking class is on my culinary bucket list!). But I have eaten it before and I know generally what goes in it (amazing ingredients like seafood – so much seafood!). And I wanted to throw together a relatively quick and easy version of a dish reminiscent of paella – this is what happened :-).
And it is SO good, you guys! There is something about cooking with fresh seafood, like clams/mussels/tail-on shrimp … your sauce or base of your dish is going to be just that much more flavorful and delicious. This dish is actually quite similar to my Fettuccine with Mussels, Clams and Bay Scallops … except this one is in a fire-roasted tomato sauce and is Whole30 compliant! (and, note to self, I had some leftovers of this on a little bit of pasta – SO GOOD).
Oh and don’t be intimidated of working with fresh seafood! Here are my tips: 1). leave the tails on your shrimp! Yes I know it can be a pain to take them off when you are eating but they add SO much flavor! 2.) Check and see if your mussels need to be debearded/prepared (very simple – check out this tutorial) 3.) for the clams, the preparation will be very similar to the mussels (scrub and soak for 30 minutes), you just don’t have to debeard them (seriously just check out the tutorial for pictures of “debearding”).
Can’t wait for you guys to make this one!!
Chorizo and Seafood Wannabe Paella – A fun spin on the classic paella dish that is Whole30 and Paleo friendly!
- 3 Tablespoons ghee (sub coconut oil, if desired)
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped sweet yellow onion
- 1 large stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1 Teaspoon paprika
- 28oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 2–3 Tablespoons chicken broth (bone broth is even better)
- 1 green pepper, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Approx. 6oz chorizo, sliced
- 1/2 – 1 lb tail-on large shrimp, raw
- 1 lb mussels
- 1/2 – 3/4 lb clams
- 1/2 – 1 lb raw shrimp, tail-on
- In large skillet (I used a cast iron skillet) melt ghee on medium heat.
- Add garlic and move around until fragrant.
- Add onion, celery, paprika and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Mix around until fully combined.
- Add tomatoes, broth and a Teaspoon of salt.
- Mix and let simmer, uncovered, for approximately 5-10 minutes.
- Add green pepper and chorizo; mix.
- Add clams and shrimp, ensure sauce is simmering, and cover tightly for 3 minutes.
- Remove lid just long enough to add mussels, cover tightly again for 5 minutes.
- Uncover, mix and then cover again for about 5 minutes.
- By this time, all the mussels and clams should be open and your shrimp should be fully cooked.
- Taste and add any additional salt or pepper, as needed.
- Serve with cauliflower rice, if desired. If you serve your Wannabe Paella over some raw (unfrozen) cauliflower rice, the rice should cook slightly and give you that true paella feel of having rice cooked in it).
If you are not worried about Whole30/Paleo, feel free to serve over some gluten-free pasta! It’s delicious!