Whole30 Zuppa Toscana is a wonderfully flavorful soup that makes the best leftovers! Such a great recipe to add to the menu when you are getting bored with the same flavors.
The BEST Whole30 Zuppa Toscana
When it is cozy and cold out and you are looking for a bowl of warm, delicious comfort food – this is the recipe for you! We love a good Whole30 soup and this one might be one of our all-time favorites! Made with simple, clean ingredients and packed with flavor!
What is Zuppa Toscana
Zuppa Toscana is a classic Italian soup that is traditionally made with heavy cream and cannellini beans (as well as kale, potatoes, celery and carrots). We have lightened it up a little in this version using coconut milk instead of heavy cream and omitting the beans. I also used chorizo in addition to the Italian sausage and I added some bacon to add to the depth of flavor (as well as some lemon juice for some acidity).
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Flavor: the flavor is so wonderful! There are so many amazing ingredients coming together – the richness of the sausage, chorizo and bacon paired with the veggies, potatoes and kale – and feel free to toss some red pepper flakes on top if you want to amp up the flavor even more.
- Whole30/Paleo: As someone who eats Whole30 about 60-70% of the time (and dairy-free 95% of the time) I love having this as a hearty Fall/Winter recipe option!
- Leftovers: This is definitely one of those recipes you should make on a Sunday to have leftovers for lunch throughout the week.
How to Make Whole30 Zuppa Toscana
Cook your bacon and set aside (reserve some bacon grease). Cook Italian sausage and chorizo. Remove from dutch oven and set aside.
Sauté garlic, veggies and potatoes in the reserved bacon grease.
Add chicken broth and coconut milk.
Add in lemon juice, salt, kale and bacon.
Taste and adjust seasoning – serve and enjoy!
Other Recipes You Might Like
- The BEST Homemade Chicken Soup
- Curried Cauliflower Soup
- Easy Thai Mushroom Zoodle Soup
- Homemade Beef Vegetable Soup
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!Print
Whole30 Zuppa Toscana – a fun spin your classic Zuppa Toscana recipe that is dairy-free and Paleo/Whole30!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage, ground
- 1 pound chorizo, ground
- 8 strips bacon
- 3–4 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 russet potatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour
- 32oz chicken broth
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3–4 handfuls of roughly chopped kale
- fresh oregano (optional for garnish)
- (optional) crushed red peppers
- Cook bacon until crispy. Reserve 2-3 tablespoons of bacon grease. Set aside bacon for later.
- Bring dutch oven to medium-high heat and swirl with olive oil to coat the bottom.
- Add Italian sausage and chorizo. Break apart and fully cook. Remove and place on a plate. Set aside.
- In the same dutch oven, add the reserved bacon grease and bring to medium-high heat. Scrape any bits off of the bottom of the pan. Add garlic and cook until aromatic, about 1 minute, moving around constantly.
- Add in onions, carrots, celery and potatoes. Sauté for 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in tapioca flour and then add Italian sausage and chorizo back in.
- Slowly add in chicken broth, coconut milk, lemon juice and salt. Stir to combine.
- Let simmer a few minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, as desired.
- Add in chopped kale and stir to combine.
- Crumble or cut bacon up into bite-sized pieces and add in at the last minute before serving.
- Garnish with fresh oregano (or basil) and sprinkle in some crushed red pepper, if desired.
- Ingredients: just double check your ingredients to make sure the Italian sausage, chorizo, bacon and chicken broth are Whole30 compatible!
- Servings: this recipe makes quite a bit so this is a great one to make and have for leftovers for lunch for a couple days!
- Storage: store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Keywords: zuppa toscana, zuppa toscana soup, whole30 zuppa toscana