Whole30 Zuppa Toscana is a wonderfully flavorful soup that makes the best leftovers! Such a great recipe to add to the menu when you are getting bored with the same flavors.
What is Zuppa Toscana
Zuppa Toscana is a classic Italian soup that is traditionally made with heavy cream and cannellini beans (as well as kale, potatoes, celery and carrots). We have lightened it up a little in this version using coconut milk instead of heavy cream and omitting the beans. I also used chorizo in addition to the Italian sausage and I added some bacon to add to the depth of flavor (as well as some lemon juice for some acidity).
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Flavor: the flavor is so wonderful! There are so many amazing ingredients coming together – the richness of the sausage, chorizo and bacon paired with the veggies, potatoes and kale – and feel free to toss some red pepper flakes on top if you want to amp up the flavor even more.
- Whole30/Paleo: As someone who eats Whole30 about 60-70% of the time (and dairy-free 95% of the time) I love having this as a hearty Fall/Winter recipe option!
- Leftovers: This is definitely one of those recipes you should make on a Sunday to have leftovers for lunch throughout the week.
How to Make Whole30 Zuppa Toscana
Step 1: Cook your bacon and set aside (reserve some bacon grease). Cook Italian sausage and chorizo. Remove from dutch oven and set aside.
Step 2: Sauté garlic, veggies and potatoes in the reserved bacon grease.
Step 3: Add chicken broth and coconut milk.
Step 4: add in lemon juice, salt, kale and bacon.
Step 5: Taste and adjust seasoning – serve and enjoy!
Other Recipes You Might Like
- The BEST Homemade Chicken Soup
- Curried Cauliflower Soup
- Easy Thai Mushroom Zoodle Soup
- Homemade Beef Vegetable Soup
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!Print
Whole30 Zuppa Toscana – a fun spin your classic Zuppa Toscana recipe that is dairy-free and Paleo/Whole30!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage, ground
- 1 pound chorizo, ground
- 8 strips bacon
- 3–4 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 russet potatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour
- 32oz chicken broth
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3–4 handfuls of roughly chopped kale
- fresh oregano (optional for garnish)
- (optional) crushed red peppers
- Cook bacon until crispy. Reserve 2-3 tablespoons of bacon grease. Set aside bacon for later.
- Bring dutch oven to medium-high heat and swirl with olive oil to coat the bottom.
- Add Italian sausage and chorizo. Break apart and fully cook. Remove and place on a plate. Set aside.
- In the same dutch oven, add the reserved bacon grease and bring to medium-high heat. Scrape any bits off of the bottom of the pan. Add garlic and cook until aromatic, about 1 minute, moving around constantly.
- Add in onions, carrots, celery and potatoes. Sauté for 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in tapioca flour and then add Italian sausage and chorizo back in.
- Slowly add in chicken broth, coconut milk, lemon juice and salt. Stir to combine.
- Let simmer a few minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, as desired.
- Add in chopped kale and stir to combine.
- Crumble or cut bacon up into bite-sized pieces and add in at the last minute before serving.
- Garnish with fresh oregano (or basil) and sprinkle in some crushed red pepper, if desired.
- Ingredients: just double check your ingredients to make sure the Italian sausage, chorizo, bacon and chicken broth are Whole30 compatible!
- Servings: this recipe makes quite a bit so this is a great one to make and have for leftovers for lunch for a couple days!
Keywords: zuppa toscana, zuppa toscana soup