Homemade Beef Vegetable Soup – and simple and delicious winter soup that is so easy to make! Filled with real, simple ingredients your whole family will love this! (Whole30 + Paleo + GF + DF)
Your new favorite soup!
Homemade Beef Vegetable Soup
This is totally an oldie-but-a-goodie recipe! I have been making it for SO long and can’t believe it took me this long to get it on the blog for you guys! I am a total soup person – I look forward to soup season every year! I could eat soup every day! My husband, not so much. But, he loved this soup, which tells you something! Seriously – so easy you guys!
What Cut of Beef is Best for Soup
The best cut of beef for soup is round steak. It isn’t overly expensive and it isn’t too tough. But you can also use chuck roast, chuck shoulder or top chuck.
What Other Vegetables can I add?
You can add the following vegetables to this soup:
- Potatoes (I would use russet, cut them into smaller, bite-sized pieces and add them in along with the other vegetables)
- Peas (I would add these at the very end and, please note, peas are not Whole30/Paleo)
- Corn (I would add these at the very end and, please note, corn is not Whole30/Paleo)
- Zucchini (I would also add this at the very end so it doesn’t get mushy – cut into small chunks)
How to Store this Beef Vegetable Soup Recipe
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Other recipes you might like:
Homemade Beef Vegetable Soup – and easy and delicious winter soup that is so easy to make! Filled with real, simple ingredients your whole family will love this! (Whole30 + Paleo + GF + DF)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or avocado oil)
- 1.5 lb – 2 lbs beef round steak, cut into 1 inch pieces
- salt and pepper
- 3 teaspoons garlic, minced, divided
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 celery stalks, sliced
- 3 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 48oz (6 cups) beef broth
- Bring dutch oven to medium heat.
- Add oil and garlic. Move around as 1 teaspoon garlic becomes fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add beef and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Stir beef as it sears, allowing it to cook about 5-6 minutes. It doesn’t need to be cooked fully, just seared on the outside.
- Remove beef from pot and place on a large plate. Set aside.
- Add 2 teaspoon garlic and move around until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add celery, onion and carrots.
- Stir as they cook, about 3 minutes.
- Add beef broth, bay leaf and beef (along with any juices that have settled on the plate).
- Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce to a low simmer and cover for 45-60 minutes.
- Remove cover and test tenderness of vegetables and taste. If vegetables aren’t done to your liking, cover and continue simmering in 15 minute increments. Taste and add additional salt or pepper, as desired.
- Serve immediately.
- If Whole30/Paleo just check beef broth ingredients.
- Make sure and taste broth as the end and adjust seasoning. Beef broths can vary in salt level so much. The broth I used didn’t require any additional seasoning, but that may not be the case for all broths.
Keywords: homemade beef vegetable soup