Amazing Garlic Burgers – a garlic-stuffed burger that is easy to make and will become a family-favorite! (Whole30/Paleo)
These garlic burgers are one of my family’s go-to weeknight dinners – absolutely delicious and so easy to make!
These burgers take me wayyyy back. The recipe is completely inspired by my Dad, who made these for us all the time when we were little (and is a regular request every time we go home). So what is a garlic burger? It is a good old-fashioned burger, BUT there is a whole garlic clove stuffed inside that infuses into the entire burger with this beautiful garlicy-ness! And through the cooking process, the garlic almost becomes roasted, so the spice level goes down a couple notches. And when you get that first bite of burger and garlic clove …. you guys it is SO good.
Back story is my Dad used to make these by wrapping the burgers in foil, along with a slice of onion, and throwing them in a fire when we went camping or really any time we built a fire. When you took the foil-wrapped burger out of the flames, the garlic had roasted, the onion had charred and it all melted together in your mouth. It is, to this day, one of my favorite meals and really one of the only times it is “worth it” for me to eat a bun with my burger. It is ridiculous.
Of course, when we are doing Whole30 (or don’t happen to have an open fire), having this tamed down version of his garlic burgers tides me over until the next time I am lucky enough to have one. And don’t get me wrong, these are absolutely delicious, but those fire-cooked burgers carry a million and one memories with them that just make them taste that much better to me!
Garlic Burger Toppings
When I am doing Whole30, I wrap the burgers in some lettuce with some homemade Whole30 mayo, avo and tomato …. other times I fry up slices of onion and serve them on top along with some Whole30 ketchup and mustard. Both ways are amazing and I can’t wait for you to try them!!
If the stacked burger is too intimidating … just throw everything in a bowl and call it good!
A garlic-stuffed burger that is easy to make and will become a family-favorite!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 large garlic cloves (see Note)
- Lettuce to wrap in or make “burger” out of
- onion (raw or fry a thick slice in some ghee)
- Whole30 mayo
- Whole30 ketchup
- Combine ground beef, egg and salt and pepper in mixing bowl.
- Fully combine with clean hands.
- Make patties approx. 1/3 pounds each
- Place a garlic clove in the middle of each patty and then gently press down until the garlic is just below the beef.
- Using your hands, push the surrounding beef around the garlic clove so it is completely covered.
- Repeat with all patties.
- Patties should be between 1/2 and 3/4 inches thick.
- Preheat grill to 450/500, clean grates and apply nonstick spray or use a grill mat.
- Sear on direct high heat 2 minutes per side.
- Grill on indirect medium/high heat (400) until internal temp reaches desired doneness (145 – rare; 155 medium; 165 well done).
- Rest for at least 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
- After cooking the raw garlic clove is tender, but it definitely still has some spice to it. If you prefer, simmer your raw garlic clover in a little olive oil (or avocado oil) prior to stuffing your burger.
Keywords: garlic burger
Thank you so much for reading & supporting The Wooden Skillet! This post contains affiliate links for products I actually use in my own home and personally recommend. Should you make a purchase using one of these links, The Wooden Skillet will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you, which helps me continue to bring you great original content. Thank you!