Fennel Salad is a light, delicious salad option that is so refreshing! Perfect side dish for any meal! This simple fennel salad is full of thinly sliced fennel, crisp apples, manchego cheese, and fresh herbs.
Best Fennel Salad Recipe
This is such an underrated recipe – the flavor combo just works here resulting a light, crisp and delicious side salad that is fancy enough for a Holiday, but simple enough for an easy weeknight dinner (it would pair well with some grilled chicken thighs). The first time we had this winter salad we were blown away by all the fresh flavors. Can’t wait for you to try it!
Why This Recipe Works
- Light: nothing heavy in this recipe – just clean flavors.
- Crisp: the crunch of the apple and fennel paired with the softness of the cheese is perfection!
- Easy: no cooking required here.
What You Will Need
- apples: we used honeycrisp apples, but you could use a variety of different flavors, really depends upon what you like the most.
- fresh lemon juice: just using this to toss the apples in so they don’t turn brown, plus it adds a tiny bit of citrus to the dish.
- fresh fennel: fennel bulbs have such a unique flavor and goes so well with sweet ingredients like apple – learn how to properly slice your fennel bulb here!
- manchego cheese: you could use any light, white cheese here (like parmesan cheese) with success – but I highly recommend the manchego for best results.
- extra virgin olive oil + kosher salt: we add this so the salad doesn’t get dry and the salt just helps maximize flavor.
- basil leaves: this adds freshness!
This is a very versatile salad! There are so many different ways you could prepare it! Some other great additions would be orange slices, black olives, fresh mint, red pepper flakes for some spice, or a drizzle of maple syrup for some added sweetness.
How to Make Fennel Salad
Add everything to a large bowl.
Stir to combine. Taste and adjust any seasoning, as-needed.
Storing Fennel Salad
This delicious salad can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. If there is time, we actually love to prep it at least 30 minutes before serving it so that the flavors have a chance to permeate the fennel. And if you can let it sit overnight, the flavor will be so good the next day!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Fennel Salad – a bright, light and refreshing fennel salad recipe with apples, fresh basil and cheese. Perfect side dish for any meal!
- 1–2 honeycrisp apples, diced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup fennel bulb, sliced
- 1 cup manchego cheese, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Approx. 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Combine apples and lemon juice in a small bowl; stir to coat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Combine all ingredients in a medium salad bowl.
- Stir to combine.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, as-needed.
- Shaved fennel salad: if you prefer feel free to use shaved fennel instead of sliced.
- Storage: store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Making ahead: if you are making this ahead of time I would recommend adding the basil leaves right before serving so they are fresh.
- Add ins: if you want a bit more of a bite you can add in a little fresh red onion!
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 72
- Sugar: 2.9 g
- Sodium: 214.3 mg
- Fat: 4.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 4.4 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 7.2 mg
Keywords: fennel salad
Originally published April 3, 2016.