Creamy Leeks Recipe + Black Trumpet Mushrooms is a simple yet refined appetizer, small plate or even brunch menu item that everyone will love!
Hey – when your mushroom-hunting step-mom asks you if want some fresh, wild mushrooms ….. you say hell to the yes! How amazing are these babies? As soon as I knew I was going to get my hands on some black trumpets this recipe immediately flashed in front of my eyes, for whatever reason, and I just couldn’t image anything else. A simple piece of toast with butter and mozzarella cheese, topped with an over-easy egg and a creamy mixture of leeks, butter, cream and fresh black trumpet mushrooms….. sinfully good.
Creamy Leeks Recipe
I have got to be honest and admit that I have never had black trumpets before this…. I have had morels and one or two other kinds of wild mushrooms, but never black trumpets. …… I didn’t know what I was missing until now. Wow. The flavor is just…. amazing. It is muted and light yet strong and powerful a the same time. Very unique. I know they are hard to get sometimes, but if you ever EVER get the chance – the answer is always yes.
I am in love with this recipe. There is something about the combination of the toast, cheese, egg (all fairly mild flavors) with the leek and mushroom on top – the mushroom flavor just shines and isn’t over-powered by the other ingredients. Simple food. Real food. And oh-so-good.
Food for thought – I know my step mom has had luck re-hydrating dehydrated mushrooms. Dehydrated trumpets may be easier to get – particularly in the off-season.
This recipe is a must-try. Go find those trumpets – go!
Like toast? Like eating stuff on toast? Check out our Fresh Roma and Yellow Tomato Bruschetta recipe!Print
- 1 cup washed trumpets (about 2 cups whole, dry)
- 5 Tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1/4 (heaping) cup of leeks (cut leeks into 1 inch chunks and then halve them); Let layers fall apart
- 2 Tablespoons chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon white wine (I used chardonnay)
- 1/4 Teaspoon kosher salt (more to taste)
- pinch of black pepper
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 4 eggs
- 4 thick slices of a large baguette
- 8 slices of mozzarella cheese
- In large skillet or dutch oven, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat.
- Add garlic and leeks and allow to cook 1-2 minutes.
- Then add chicken broth, cream, wine, and thyme.
- Let simmer 10 minutes, uncovered.
- Add salt and pepper and stir.
- Cover and turn heat to low to keep warm.
- On a cookie sheet with foil on it, place the 4 pieces of bread and butter each with 1/2 Tablespoon butter.
- Place two slices of mozzarella cheese on each and set aside (turn your broiler on).
- Remove thyme sprigs from the leek mixture and then add your mushrooms to your pan, turn heat back up to medium and cover, 1-2 minutes.
- In skillet, add 1 Tablespoon butter and cook 4 eggs over-easy.
- Give trumpets a stir to mix in with leeks and re-cover. Remove from heat.
- Broil toast with cheese on it, for approx. 3 minutes or until cheese just barely starts to turn brown and bubble.
- Remove toast from broiler.
- On each plate, place the toast, then an egg over-easy and then the mushroom mixture.
Keywords: creamy leeks recipe