Light and Delicious Lox Breakfast Toast – a simple (egg-free option) breakfast that is so easy to put together! (whole30/paleo)
Sometimes you just don’t want eggs for breakfast. I get it. When that’s how you are feeling, this is the recipe for you!
I have always been a huge fan of smoked salmon – it is light and delicious. And served on a bagel with sour cream and all the goods …. it’s one of the best. Buuuut, I am not always digging the bagel and the dairy-filled sour cream. So, I came up with this option for a Whole30 compliant / dairy free version of that beloved lox bagel for you guys!!
So the “bagel” is actually just a russet potato baked in the oven with salt and pepper. Watch your labels on the smoked salmon/lox – lots of weird ingredients can make their way into them! And then the sour cream – you can find dairy-free sour cream fairy easily these days, but I don’t think there is a Whole30 sour cream out on the market – but I just happen to have a lovely little recipe for Dairy Free Coconut Sour Cream that will be perfect!!
And I love that this is easy enough for a weekday morning, but can totally be fancy enough for your weekend brunch! Hope you guys enjoy!
- 2 1/2 inch thick slices of russet potato
- olive oil
- 3-4 oz smoked salmon (more if desired)
- 8 slices English cucumber
- 1 slice red onion
- 4 sprigs fresh dill
- Whole30 sour cream
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Rub both sides of potato slices with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for approx. 15 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Remove and let cook slightly.
- Top potato toast with cucumber slices, lox, capers, red onion, fresh dill and dairy free sour cream (see post for Dairy Free Coconut Sour Cream!)
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting all things The Wooden Skillet.