- 1 cup washed trumpets (about 2 cups whole, dry)
- 5 Tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1/4 (heaping) cup of leeks (cut leeks into 1 inch chunks and then halve them); Let layers fall apart
- 2 Tablespoons chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon white wine (I used chardonnay)
- 1/4 Teaspoon kosher salt (more to taste)
- pinch of black pepper
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 4 eggs
- 4 thick slices of a large baguette
- 8 slices of mozzarella cheese
- In large skillet or dutch oven, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat.
- Add garlic and leeks and allow to cook 1-2 minutes.
- Then add chicken broth, cream, wine, and thyme.
- Let simmer 10 minutes, uncovered.
- Add salt and pepper and stir.
- Cover and turn heat to low to keep warm.
- On a cookie sheet with foil on it, place the 4 pieces of bread and butter each with 1/2 Tablespoon butter.
- Place two slices of mozzarella cheese on each and set aside (turn your broiler on).
- Remove thyme sprigs from the leek mixture and then add your mushrooms to your pan, turn heat back up to medium and cover, 1-2 minutes.
- In skillet, add 1 Tablespoon butter and cook 4 eggs over-easy.
- Give trumpets a stir to mix in with leeks and re-cover. Remove from heat.
- Broil toast with cheese on it, for approx. 3 minutes or until cheese just barely starts to turn brown and bubble.
- Remove toast from broiler.
- On each plate, place the toast, then an egg over-easy and then the mushroom mixture.
Keywords: creamy leeks recipe