Dairy Free Pesto – a quick and easy pesto that is dairy-free and Whole30! The perfect way to use your fresh basil!
This Dairy Free Pesto is absolutely perfect for the beginning of spring, you guys! Can’t wait for you to try it!
Dairy Free Pesto
I am always looking for and trying to create new and fun dairy free recipe and this one has got to be one of my favorites. I have always loved pesto, but as you know, it typically has cheese in it. So I am so excited to make a version that I can actually eat! And I really can’t believe how delicious pesto can be without the cheese – I couldn’t even tell the difference!
Does Pesto Contain Dairy?
Yes, normally pesto contains dairy – usually in the form of parmesan!
How Long Does this Dairy Free Pesto Last?
It should last 5-7 days in the refrigerator or 3-4 months in the freezer.
Whole30 Pesto + Paleo Pesto
This will also be the perfect recipe for Whole30! Throw it on some chicken, flank steak, maybe on some pan-seared cod – and it would be perfect for freezing! Make a double or triple batch and divide it up into small mason jars and toss them in the freezer.
But, if you aren’t doing a Whole30 and want to get a little creative, I highly recommend making some homemade pasta to have with your fresh batch of pesto!
As always, I like to encourage you guys to take the reins and figure out what YOU like and tailor the recipe accordingly! After you follow the recipe, always taste and figure out what YOU need more of! For example, if you like really thick pesto, then don’t add any additional olive oil. If you want it thinner, then go ahead and add a bit more. Same goes with the salt. I love giving you guys options in my recipes so that you can make it how you love it!
Other recipes you might like:
Dairy Free Basil Pesto – a quick, easy and delicious option that is diary-free and whole30 compliant!
- 1.5 – 2 cups packed basil leaves
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 Teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 Teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Combine basil, pine nuts, garlic, lemon juice and kosher salt into small food processor.
- Start food processor and slowly add olive oil.
- Once olive oil is completely incorporated, stop food processor and taste pesto.
- Add additional salt, olive oil or pine nuts as desired.
- (feel free to serve with some pasta along with some sautéed mushrooms and a soft-boiled egg)
- Always taste and adjust flavor or texture accordingly! If you want it thinner – add more olive oil. If you need more salt, add it a pinch at a time. If you need more acid, add an additional squeeze of lemon juice!
- Freeze up to 3-4 months
- Store in refrigerator 5-7 days, in airtight container.
Keywords: dairy free pesto
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting all things The Wooden Skillet.