Coffee Smoothie – extra thick and so delicious! This delicious coffee smoothie recipe is made with simple, real ingredients like frozen banana, coffee ice cubes, almond milk and natural sweeteners! Perfect for breakfast or an afternoon pick-me-up!
Best Ever Coffee Smoothie Recipe
If you have been here a while you know I am huge fan of all-things coffee related (love making my own cold brew coffee and these Vanilla Sweet Cream Cold Brew Lattes) so of course I had to make a smoothie that includes it! This is a great base recipe that you can easily make your own by adding things like protein powder (or collagen), oats, chia seeds, etc! Cannot wait for you to add this to your morning routine – the taste is amazing!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Coffee: Coffee and Smoothies should really go hand-in-hand more often! We all know breakfast + cold brew coffee go together and so do smoothies and breakfast … so combining the two into a smoothie is just a match made in heaven.
- Versatile: I love that you can add in protein powder or collagen to this if you want to make it a little more filling. Also, feel free top with a dairy-free whipped almond or coconut milk to make it extra special.
- Lunch or Snack: I love smoothies because you can really get away with them for any meal – although since there is coffee in this one you might want to stick to breakfast for lunch with this one!
Coffee Smoothie Ingredients
- coffee ice cubes: make these the night before! Don’t worry though, if you forget you can simply use some cold brew or strong coffee (then let cool in the fridge), just add in a handful of ice cubes!
- frozen banana: if you want your smoothie thicker you can always add more frozen banana.
- dates: instead of dates you could use honey, maple syrup or another sweetener of choice (if you want this to be vegan use dates or maple syrup)!
- creamy almond butter: peanut butter or really any nut butter can be used!
- almond milk: any dairy-free milk can be used!
- vanilla extract: this adds a bit of sweetness and rounds out the flavor.
- (optional) protein powder or collagen
- other optional add-ins: greek yogurt, oats, chia seeds, hemp seeds, espresso powder or even ice cream!
- Topping (optional): whipped coconut cream and shaved chocolate
Variations + Tips
- Chocolate: you could add in a little cacao powder if you wanted it a tad chocolatey.
- Caffeine Free: feel free to freeze decaf coffee if you prefer.
- Iced Coffee: or you can just freeze regular coffee – whatever works for you.
- Texture: for thicker smoothies use another half of frozen banana and for a thinner texture use more almond milk or an extra splash of coffee.
- Coffee Flavor: if you want a stronger coffee flavor make sure your coffee is nice and strong – you can also add in a little espresso powder too!
Other Healthy Smoothies You Might Like
- Orange Immunity-Boosting Smoothie
- Creamy Raspberry Smoothie
- Blueberry Banana Smoothie
- Carrot Ginger Smoothie
- Mango Smoothie
How to Make a Coffee Smoothie
Get your ingredients prepped.
Don’t forget to freeze your coffee ahead of time!
Combine ingredients and blend on HIGH.
Pour into your favorite glass.
Top with dairy-free whipped cream (if you want) and top with shaved chocolate – enjoy!
Other recipes you might like:
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Don’t forget to check out my Instagram account for some behind-the-scenes action! Or give me a follow on Facebook or see what I am pinning on Pinterest!Print
Easy Coffee Smoothie
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 1 smoothie 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: American
Coffee Smoothie – This extra thick Cold Brew Smoothie is SO good!! Perfect for breakfast or an afternoon pick-me-up!
- 4–6 coffee ice cubes
- 1 frozen banana, sliced
- 1–2 dates, chopped*
- 1–2 tablespoons creamy almond butter or peanut butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- (optional) 1 scoop of your choice of protein powder (plant-based if you want)
- (optional) topping: dairy-free whipped topping and shaved chocolate
- Combine ingredients in a high speed blender.
- Blend on HIGH, scraping down the sides as needed, for 1-2 minutes.
- To thicken add additional frozen banana or ice cubes. To thin, add additional liquid coffee or almond milk.
- Serve immediately – feel free to top with dairy-free whipped cream and shaved chocolates if you want it to be extra special!
- Forgot to Freeze Your Cold Brew: if you forgot to freeze your cold brew DON’T WORRY you can still make the smoothie. Just add approximately 1 cup cold brew and then a handful or two of regular ice cubes. The smoothie might not QUITE as thick, but it will still be delicious!
- *Dates: feel free to substitute honey or even maple syrup as your sweetener – 1-2 tablespoons of either will work, but feel free to add more, if desired.
- Other Add-Ins: handful of spinach, frozen zucchini, 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt, 1/4 cup rolled oats, 1 tablespoon chia seeds, scoop of dairy-free ice cream
- Strong Coffee Flavor: to ensure a super strong coffee flavor in your smoothie you can also add a little bit of espresso powder!
- Nutrition: nutrition estimate provided does NOT include the optional protein powder or toppings.
- Serving Size: 1 smoothie
- Calories: 302
- Sugar: 31.6 g
- Sodium: 100.7 mg
- Fat: 10.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 49.2 g
- Protein: 5.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: cold brew smoothie
Originally published May 26, 2020.
This coffee smoothie so delicious! It’s thick I ate with a spoon. Added chia seeds and Heap.
Glad you enjoyed it!! Thanks for coming back to leave a review!
What would be a good banana substitute for this recipe?
Hi Audrey – so I haven’t tried this/tested this, but some suggestions are increase the frozen coffee cubes, add in some oats, add in a little frozen avocado or even a little frozen cauliflower? Let me know if you try anything!
Perfect summer pick me up! Hits the spot on a warm day.
Brenda Reid says
I just made this yummy, healthy, nutty smoothie! I have a Breville espresso machine so I substituted a double shot of espresso frozen in cubes for the cold brew. So creamy and filling! New summer breakfast go to!!
I love that idea, Brenda!! Thanks for taking the time to leave a review + rating – I so appreciate it!
Just made this after my workout and it was so delicious! Perfect treat to enjoy after a sweat session!
So happy to hear that, Amy! And thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review!
Wonderful smoothie decadent without guilt! I add cacao powder to make it more like a mocha just to mix it up a bit or maca powder to give it a nuttiness..
Oooh I love that idea! So glad you enjoyed it, Barb – and thanks for coming back to leave a review!
I made this today and loved it! The smoothie is creamy and not too sweet. It was the perfect afternoon pick me up and I will definitely make this again.
Yay!! Glad you enjoyed it, Courtney!! Thanks so much for the feedback – I appreciate it so much!
So tasty and just what I needed on a hot afternoon to keep up with the kids!
So glad you enjoyed it, Anne-Marie! And thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review! I really appreciate it!
I typically make a smoothie w/ protein powder or occasionally make an iced coffee- this recipe perfectly blended both for a nice change up. The smoothie is a creamy blend of coffee with a touch of sweetness from dates. I’ll be making again.
So happy to hear that, Tawny! And thank you so much for taking the time to come back and leave a review + feedback – I really appreciate it!
Loved this. I didn’t have the dates and it was still delicious!! (I sprinkled in a little bit of coconut sugar since I didn’t have dates but think the banana was probably enough sweetness for me) .
Yay! So happy to hear that, Jennice! Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback – I really appreciate it!