This easy and creamy Chocolate Banana Smoothie is extra thick and will be your new favorite smoothie! Perfect for a quick breakfast or snack. The kids are definitely going to love it!
The Best Chocolate Banana Smoothie
This is one of my all-time favorite breakfast smoothies and I am so excited to share it with you guys today! Made with the most amazing, simple ingredients and it is the best way to start your day (although I make one for lunch all the time too)! You can toss just about any nutrient boosting ingredients and it will still taste like a peanut butter cup.
And if you are looking for another easy smoothie recipe, try our Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie!
What You Will Need
- banana – perfect for adding a bit of natural sweetness and to get the smoothie nice and thick. If you need tips on how best to freeze them, checkout this post!
- zucchini – adding in a bit of chopped zucchini is a great way to include some added veggies.
- chia seeds, ground flax, & sunflower seeds – these really pack a nutritional punch!
- raw cacao powder – this touch of added sweetness makes the whole thing taste like a peanut butter cup.
- chocolate collagen protein powder – we love adding a scoop for the added nutrition, plus the collagen keeps things extra creamy (we love this one).
- almond butter – adding a nut butter is optional but we highly recommend it!
- spinach or kale – another great fresh vegetable that would make a good addition.
- unsweetened almond milk – this keeps it dairy-free, but any plant-based milk would work.
- smoothie ice cubes – ice is a great way to thicken smoothies and we love making them with coconut water & coconut cream!
Favorite Chocolate Collagen
My absolute favorite chocolate collagen is from Primal Kitchen! I am lucky enough to have an amazing relationship with the brand and they gave me a 10% off coupon code especially for The Wooden Skillet readers! So head on over to the Primal Kitchen website and use TWS10 for 10% your order (and here is the link directly to the chocolate collagen I was talking about)!
How To Make A Chocolate Banana Smoothie
To start making this healthy chocolate banana smoothie, gather your ingredients.
Can I Prep This Smoothie Ahead Of Time
Yes! Toss your frozen banana, sunflower seeds, and zucchini to a freezer safe storage bag. Then add that to the blender along with your smoothie ice cubes and remaining ingredients, and blend until smooth!
Place all of the ingredients in a high powered blender or food processor.
Blend on high for 1-2 minutes or until perfectly smooth and creamy. Enjoy!
Best Ways To Enjoy A Chocolate Banana Smoothie
You can simply enjoy this smoothie all by itself or you can add a few other items to round it out into a full meal. We love enjoying it for breakfast with a healthy baked egg cup, a slice of Paleo chocolate chip banana bread, or a raspberry muffin. And if we have it for a snack, we always have an energy ball with it!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Other Healthy Smoothies You Might Like
- Orange Immunity-Boosting Smoothie
- Creamy Raspberry Smoothie
- Blueberry Banana Smoothie
- Carrot Ginger Smoothie
Chocolate Banana Smoothie – a thick and creamy chocolate banana smoothie that tastes so much like a peanut butter cup! Packed with amazing ingredients – perfect for breakfast or lunch!
Chocolate Banana Smoothie
- 1 large banana, frozen + sliced
- 1 tablespoon zucchini, chopped (frozen or fresh)
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground flax
- 1 teaspoon sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 1 serving chocolate collagen protein powder
- 1–2 tablespoons almond butter (optional)
- 1/4 cup spinach or kale
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 4–6 smoothie ice cubes
Smoothie Ice Cubes:
- coconut water
- coconut cream
Smoothie Ice Cubes:
- Fill 4-6 ice cubes with 1/2 coconut water and 1/2 coconut cream (coconut milk will work).
- Mix a little (they don’t need to be fully combined).
- Place in freezer overnight.
Chocolate Banana Smoothie
- Combine all ingredients in a high-powered blender.
- Blend on LOW for 1-2 minutes. Pause to scrape down sides with spatula and continue blending until it has reached a smooth consistency.
- Add additional almond milk, coconut water or filtered water, as needed for desired consistency.
- Serve immediately.
- Consistency: to make thicker add additional ice cubes; to make thinner add additional almond milk or water
- Zucchini: feel free to add in a small handful of frozen zucchini if you want!
- Chocolate Protein/Collagen: adding collagen to your smoothies not only has some amazing health benefits, but it also makes your smoothie extra creamy and smooth! Here is a my favorite chocolate collagen powder.
- Make Ahead: toss your frozen banana, sunflower seeds, and zucchini to a freezer safe storage bag. Then add that the blender along with your smoothie ice cubes and remaining ingredients when ready!
- Serving Size: 6oz
- Calories: 202
- Sugar: 9 g
- Sodium: 129.5 mg
- Fat: 8.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 21.4 g
- Protein: 10.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: chocolate banana smoothie