Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies – the perfect healthy cookie that you AND your kids will love!! (they won’t know there are veggies hidden in them!)
Best Ever Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies
I came up with this recipe several years ago, after my oldest was born, because I wanted a way to sneak some more veggies into her diet and wanted to be able to give her something sweet for dessert once in a while that didn’t have a million weird ingredients in it. I wanted a “healthy” cookie for her – this is what I came up with! Nut butter, applesauce, banana and whole wheat flour are the main ingredients with spinach, carrots and zucchini – I swear you really can’t even taste the veggies. Oh, and of course there are chocolate chips because, hello, these are still cookies!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Ingredients: The ingredients really are just simple, clean and even include some fruits and vegetables.
- Veggies: Like I said, I even threw some veggies in there…. because why not!
- Still a Cookie: But even with all those healthier ingredients, these are still cookies and that’s what they taste like – promise!
Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookie Ingredients
- whole wheat flour
- baking soda
- kosher salt
- unsweetened applesauce
- vanilla extract
- creamy almond butter
- coconut sugar
- dairy-free/semi sweet chocolate chips
- sea salt
Other Healthier Desserts You Might Like
Other Recipes You Might LikePrint
The perfect healthy cookie that you AND your kids will love!!
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 very ripe, mashed banana
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup creamy almond butter, peanut butter works too
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup carrot (use peeler to peel strips of carrot and then roughly chop)
- 1/3 cup spinach (roughly chopped)
- 2–3 tablespoons of zucchini (just peel off the green, outer layer of the zucchini with peeler and then roughly chop)
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup dairy-free/semi sweet chocolate chips
- sea salt (for topping – optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine whole wheat flour, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
- In separate medium bowl, combine mashed banana, beaten egg, applesauce, vanilla, almond butter and coconut sugar; Mix well.
- Add spinach, carrots and zucchini to wet ingredients and fold together.
- Combine both bowls and then add chocolate chips. Mix.
- Take cookie sheet and lightly spray with non-stick.
- Take generous tablespoons of dough and place on cookie sheet OR take 2-3 tablespoons of dough and roll into a ball in your hand, place on cookie sheet and gently flatten into circle. (Note: cookies will not raise much or spread out)
- Sprinkle with sea salt (optional).
- Cook at 375 degrees, middle rack, for approx. 8-10 minutes or until the bottoms start to brown.
- Place on cooling rack and let cool completely.
- Number of Cookies: how many cookies this recipe yields depends upon how big your cookies are. If you are just making them 1-2 tablespoons big, you will yield approximately 16-20 cookies.
- Consistency/Texture: These are pretty soft cookies, not crunchy.
- Almond Butter: Feel free to use creamy peanut butter or other nut butter if you prefer – just make sure the consistency is creamy.
- Unsweetened Almond/Peanut Butter: If you are using an unsweetened version of peanut butter or almond butter then I would recommend increasing the coconut sugar to about a 1/4 cup or so. Otherwise, the cookies might not be sweet enough for your liking.
- Flour Substitutions: You can use a 1-to-1 gluten-free flour if you want and I have also tested these with almond flour with success! If using almond flour I would definitely cook for 10 minutes (instead of 8).
- Coconut Sugar: you can substitute brown sugar here if you want.
- Let them cool: Let these cool fully before eating for best results!
- Storage: Since these don’t have any preservatives in them they shouldn’t be left out on the countertop for more than a day or so. After that keep them in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Keywords: healthy chocolate chip cookies