These Lamb Tacos are packed with the freshest flavors of mint, cucumber, and feta, all wrapped in a warm tortilla with tender lamb. If you’ve been looking for a good reason to try new recipes for taco night, look no further than this lamb taco recipe.
The Best Lamb Taco
Tacos are always a hit, and this 30 minute lamb tacos recipe is no exception. Get excited for new delicious flavors that are soon to become a family favorite. If you’re making a full taco bar spread and want traditional Mexican tacos, try out our classic ground beef tacos, steak tacos, or crispy chicken tacos.
What You Will Need
Ground Lamb Mixture
- ground lamb – A unique tasting protein that adds depth and complexity to these yummy tacos.
- kosher salt – Just a bit to enhance all the other flavors.
- dried oregano, basil leaves, and dill leaves – Place all of these classic dried herbs in a small bowl as they’ll be added to the meat at the same time.
- onion & garlic powder – Classic taco flavors that meld perfectly with the more unexpected.
- fresh mint leaves – A must have to make this dish really pop.
- fresh garlic – Choosing freshly minced garlic truly is the only way to get the best flavors.
Other Ingredients/ Toppings
- tortilla – Pick your favorite! We used flour tortillas, but feel free to use corn tortillas if that’s your preference.
- lettuce – Adds a bit of crunch to every bite.
- cherry tomatoes – A burst of color and flavor, letting you know that you’re making a healthy choice.
- crumbled feta cheese – A classic greek cheese that is tangy, rich, and perfectly salty.
- red onion – Just enough to add a sharp bit of zing.
- english cucumber – Fresh cucumbers are the best in any greek recipe, but we love this variety for it’s low moisture content, keeping your tacos from getting runny.
- tzatziki sauce – Feel free to pick up your favorite brand from the grocery store, or bonus points if you make our homemade tzatziki sauce complete with Greek yogurt and the best seasonings.
How To Make Lamb Tacos
Start by gathering your ingredients for easy assembly once the cooking begins.
Then bring a large cast-iron skillet or a cast iron pot to medium-high heat and add the lamb. Lamb cooks fairy quickly since it’s such a lean meat, so just keep an eye on it to ensure that it doesn’t get over cooked. Use a wooden spoon to break up the pieces so that the meat gets evenly cooked. Then drain any excess moisture from the skillet.
Now season the ground lamb by adding in your spice mixture of kosher salt, oregano, basil, dill, onion and garlic powder, mint leaves, and garlic.
Move everything around the pan until all of the herbs are combined evenly into the meat. Now give the meat a taste and adjust the seasonings to your liking.
Assemble your tacos with your favorite taco toppings! Start by adding shredded lettuce to warm tortillas of your choice, followed by the lamb taco meat, tomatoes, feta, red onion, cucumber, and the creamy tzatziki sauce!
Our favorite thing about any taco recipe is how customizable they are. Omit the flavors that aren’t for you and pile on the rest. In other words, let your tastebuds lead on this flavor adventure.
- Tzatziki Sauce: Homemade tzatziki sauce is amazing, but give yourself some grace and pick up a store bought version for when time is tight.
- Gluten-Free: Use a gluten-free tortilla to make this recipe gluten-free.
- Dairy-Free: Use a dairy-free feta option and we have a dairy-free tzatziki sauce on the site!
- Storage: Store leftover lamb meat in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Nutrition: Scroll down to the recipe card for the full nutritional info on this recipe. Just note that it does not account for toppings.
Made these ground lamb tacos and loved them?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Lamb Tacos – a delicious + flavorful lamb taco recipe that is packed with flavor and comes together in under 30 minutes! Perfect dinner idea!
Ground Lamb Mixture:
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried dill leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh mint leaves, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
Other Ingredients + Toppings (build your own):
- tortilla of your choice
- shredded lettuce
- cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- crumbled feta
- red onion, chopped
- english cucumber, diced
- tzatziki sauce
- Cook Ground Lamb: Bring cast iron skillet to medium-high heat. Add lamb and break up into pieces. Move around pan until it is fully cooked. Drain excess moisture, if any.
- Season Lamb: Add kosher salt, oregano, basil, dill, onion powder, garlic powder, mint leaves and garlic. Move around pan until fully combined.
- Taste + Adjust: Taste and any additional salt or other seasonings, as desired.
- Serve: For serving, place some shredded lettuce on the tortilla of your choice. Top with the lamb meat, tomatoes, feta, red onion, cucumber and a healthy amount of tzatziki sauce. Enjoy!
- Tzatziki Sauce: we do have a homemade tzatziki sauce on the site, but feel free to use store-bought especially if it is a busy weeknight!
- Gluten-Free: use a gluten-free tortilla to make this recipe gluten-free.
- Dairy-Free: use a dairy-free feta option and we have a dairy-free tzatziki sauce on the site!
- Storage: store leftover lamb meat in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Nutrition: The nutrition information below does not account for toppings.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 339
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 581.9 mg
- Fat: 20.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 21.9 g
- Protein: 16.4 g
- Cholesterol: 55.3 mg
Keywords: lamb tacos, lamb taco recipe