Roasted Beet Recipe + Salt and Honey is a great summer side dish and a fun, new way to use your home-grown or farmers-market beets.
Wait, do you also have a CSA box full of beets and wondering what in the merciful heavens you are going to do with them? Cause I do. Or did. Until I decided to try out this new recipe. The beets are definitely all gone now. And yours will be too.
Roasted Beet Recipe
Beets have a very…. unique flavor. It isn’t bad, but ….. it needs some encouragement. Enter salt and honey. But first, you need to roast these guys. Roasting will not only soften the beets, but it also changes the flavor – in a good way. Serving them with sweet honey and then the kosher salt – I mean sweet + salty – does it get much better than that?
How to Roast Beets
It couldn’t be more simple!
- Use a vegetable peeler to peel outside off of the beet.
- Cut into wedges.
- Drizzle and toss with a little olive oil (or avocado oil).
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 375 for about 25 minutes (will obviously depend a bit on how big your wedges are, but you can also check periodically by trying to stick a fork in them – once they are fork-tender they are good to go).
Here are some other recipes for your garden-grown/farmers market finds:
- Blackened Green Beans with Chorizo and Pine Nuts
- Fried Zucchini
- Chorizo and Leek Stuffed Pea Pods
- Stuffed Zucchini
- 2–3 Medium sized beets
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Teaspoons kosher salt
- 2–3 Tablespoons honey
- Take vegetable peeler and peel outside skin off of beets.
- Cut beets into approx. 8 wedges.
- Place beet wedges into medium sized bowl.
- Add olive oil and 1 1/2 Teaspoons kosher salt.
- Toss to evenly coat.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Take cookie sheet and cover with aluminum foil.
- Place beets on cookie sheet and spread out.
- Place beets in oven and let roast for 25-30 minutes.
- After 20 minutes in the oven, check beets periodically to see if done – depending upon the size of your beets and how thick your wedges are, they may need more or less than 25 minutes to reach your desired texture. To test, simply pierce the largest wedge with a fork – if it easily goes into the beet, then they are done.
- Remove from oven when desired texture is reached and place in serving bowl.
- Drizzle desired amount of honey over beets and sprinkle remaining 1/2 Teaspoon of kosher salt on top.
- Feel free to sub the honey for maple syrup if you want to make this plant-based.
Keywords: roasted beet recipe