This quick and easy Southwest Vinaigrette is full of all those classic Mexican-inspired flavors while still keeping things light with an olive oil base. Perfect for your favorite Southwest Salad!!
An Easy Homemade Southwest Vinaigrette
A classic southwest salad is one of our all-time favorite meals, especially in the summer. Typically, we love to serve it with our classic Creamy Southwest Dressing but we decided that we also needed a vinaigrette option to keep things a little lighter. This dressing is just that! It is so good and could be used in a variety of different ways, like on a salad, on a wrap, a sandwich, or even on some tacos!
What You Will Need
- olive oil – make sure you grab a light olive oil – we love this one by Primal Kitchen!
- vinegar (rice or white) – either rice vinegar or white vinegar will work, use your favorite or what you have on hand.
- lime juice – use as much or as little as you like!
- kosher salt & pepper – a sprinkling of each is always needed when making homemade dressing.
- ground cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, & dried oregano leaves – a great combination of spices to bring a lot of great flavor!
This vinaigrette is perfect just the way it is, but you can always make some tweaks to change it up a bit.
- Smokey – option to use smoked paprika or smoked garlic powder to give it a bit of a smokey flavor.
- Spicy – if you like your southwest vinaigrette to be more on the spicy side you can easily add some red pepper flakes!
- Lime – this can also be turned up with more lime juice if you really like that limey tang!
How To Serve Southwest Vinaigrette
When we make this dressing we love serving it with our Southwest Salad! All of the flavors and fresh ingredients are perfect together! You could also use it as a condiment when making a chicken wrap or sandwich with some perfectly grilled or smoked chicken breasts.
This dressing can easily be made in a mason jar, just add the ingredients, give it a good mix, and then you can store it in the fridge for up to a week. The olive oil will solidify when chilled so make sure you just set it on the counter for a bit before serving and then give it another good shake to ensure everything is mixed.
How To Make Southwest Vinaigrette
You can start by gathering your ingredients.
Place them all in a mason jar.
Secure the lid and give it a good shake.
Enjoy any way you want!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Southwest Vinaigrette – a light and delicious southwest vinaigrette recipe that is perfect for a southwest salad! So easy to make!
- 1/3 cup light olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar (rice or white)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (more if desired)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- Combine ingredients in small bowl.
- Whisk until olive oil emulsifies; about 1-2 minutes.
- Alternatively, place in a wide-mouth mason jar, close lid tightly and shake until well combined.
- Use on your favorite salad (like this Southwest Salad).
- Storage: This dressing can easily be made in a mason jar, just add the ingredients, give it a good mix, and then you can store it in the fridge for up to a week. The olive oil will solidify when chilled so make sure you just set it on the counter for a bit before serving and then give it another good shake to ensure everything is mixed.
- Smokey: feel free to use smoked paprika or smoked garlic powder if you want!
Keywords: southwest vinaigrette