This rich and creamy Southwest Dressing is the perfect combination of a mayo and sour cream base with a ton of flavor from spices like chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and a splash of lime juice! Great for drizzling on salads, sandwiches, or using as a dip!
Creamy Southwest Salad Dressing
We love making our own salad dressings at home! If you haven’t tried it yet, we highly recommend it! Typically, you already have all the ingredients in your pantry or fridge, you can adjust the taste to your liking, and it only takes about 5 minutes to whip it up. This deliciously creamy southwest dressing can be made as-is or you can use a dairy free sour cream to make this dairy free. We also have a great Southwest Vinaigrette, if you prefer an oil-based dressing to a creamy one.
What You Will Need
- sour cream – option to use a regular sour cream or use a dairy free option! We love this homemade dairy free sour cream or grab one from your local grocery store.
- mayo – this can also be made right at home or use what you have on hand (we love this Primal Kitchen Mayo)!
- lime juice – feel free to use as much or as little as you like – it’s a great compliment to all of the southwest flavors.
- honey – just a little for a touch of sweetness.
- chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt, pepper, & oregano leaves – a perfect combo of spices that bring a ton of great flavor!
How To Serve Southwest Dressing
This creamy salad dressing is the perfect dressing for our Ultimate Southwest Salad! It would also be a great topping for making a sandwich or wrap with some grilled chicken, in a black bean and avocado wrap, or place some in a dish and use it as a dip for smoked chicken wings! No matter how you serve it, the whole family is going to love all the great flavors.
This salad dressing can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. We love making it and storing it in a mason jar to save on some dishes!
How To Make Southwest Dressing
Begin by gathering your ingredients.
Place all of them in a mason jar.
Give it a quick shake or mix to fully combine the dressing.
Serve it any way you want!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Southwest Dressing – the easiest homemade southwest dressing recipe! Made with simple, real ingredients and perfect for a Southwest Salad!
- 3/4 cup sour cream (regular or dairy-free)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon honey (more if desired)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- Combine ingredients in a wide-mouth mason jar.
- Stir to combine.
- Taste and add any extra salt, lime juice, etc. – as desired.
- Use on your favorite salad – we love it on this Southwest Salad!
- Dairy-Free: to make this dairy-free simply use a dairy-free sour cream!
- Storage: place in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Keywords: southwest dressing