Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Yogurt Parfait – a fun and different way to use your seasonal rhubarb in a breakfast-inspired recipe
I have one more rhubarb-inspired recipe for you guys! And it is delish. I wanted to try and do a breakfast-related recipe and this is what I came up with – I don’t think I have ever had rhubarb for breakfast, sooo this was a first for me! But it will definitely not be the last. I love, love, LOVE all things strawberry rhubarb (See: Strawberry Rhubarb Galette) and this recipe is just further proof of that. These beautiful strawberries and tart rhubarb are simmered in some water, lemon zest, lemon juice and sugar until it is reduced to a flavorful and delicious compote. Serve it over your favorite yogurt with some granola … strawberry rhubarb pie for breakfast 🙂
A couple things:
- The granola is my absolute favorite and it is Purely Elizabeth – it is magic, I swear. Some of the best granola I have ever tasted (after my mom’s recipe, of course). But if you don’t feel like whipping up a batch of your own, this is REALLY good second choice. Can’t say enough good things about it, really worth a taste.
- If any if you have been following me on Instagram you know I am currently doing the Whole30 program (eeeek!). Sooooo no, this isn’t compliant (duh), but I made it the day before I started. I am really loving Whole30 (although I am really needing to get creative with my recipes, which isn’t a bad thing). I plan on doing a post or two about my experience as I go through this incredibly eye-opening experience. It really has helped me change the way I look at food and what I put in my body. And why the HE** is there so much sugar in all the foods we eat! Seriously. I mean, I expect there to be some sugar in cupcakes and cookies, but in my mayo? Really? Such a learning experience. And sugar withdrawals… yeah, this topic needs its own post. I am just finishing up my first week, so I hope to have a post up soon about that!
Anyway, back to this delicious bowl of goodness….with Mother’s Day coming up fast, this a delicious brunch menu item to have on tap. It is bright, beautiful and freakin delicious. There is something about that tartness of the rhubarb and sweetness of the strawberry – put them on top of some greek yogurt and toss in some granola clusters for a crunch — it’s just a fantastic combo and I hope you guys like it!
Okay – tomorrow is Monday (ugh), but I hope you guys have really awesome, positive and energetic start to your week!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!Print
A fun and different way to use your seasonal rhubarb in a breakfast-inspired recipe!
- Approx. 10 strawberries, halved
- 2 stalks of rhubarb, halved
- zest of one lemon
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon water
- Vanilla Greek yogurt
- Combine all ingredients in small-medium saucepan.
- Bring to boil and then simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes.
- Stir often.
- (Suggestion: toss in a few additional strawberries and/or rhubarb after 10 minutes so that you have some firmer ones mixed in with the compote)
- Remove from heat and let cool so that the sauce thickens.
- Serve over yogurt and add granola.