Brown Butter Cherry Chocolate Chunk Cookie Bars – made with whole wheat flour, coconut sugar, coconut butter, brown butter (yum) and LOTS of cherries! A delicious dessert made with wholesome ingredients!
It’s cherry season, you guys! And I am pumped – I love, love, LOVE cherries. They remind me of summer and grabbing a big ole bowl of them, heading outside and just spitting the pits wherever as I meander my way through my current favorite book. I have been waiting for them to come into season so I could experiment with them in the kitchen! It took me a couple tries, but these Brown Butter Cherry Chocolate Chunk Cookie Bars are absolutely perfect and I am so excited to share them with you!
I mean, anything that has the words “brown butter” in it, has my complete and utter attention right?! There is something about that nutty flavor that just makes everything taste more decadent and delicious; these are no exception. And then combine the brown butter with chocolate and cherries – I told you these were amazing. So when you need a new dessert this summer for your cookout or office potluck -boom. Bring these guys and blow everyone away. They will be asking you over and over again how you make brown butter ?
Cherries. So many cherries.
The cherries even got their own little photo shoot – once I cut the first one open, they were just so beautiful – I couldn’t help myself.
Then this happened…
Yeah. They were soooo good. I don’t think my girls were unhappy that I had to make more than one batch in order to get the recipe juuuuust right.
If you are lovin up on these guys, then check out my Healthy Double Chocolate Zucchini Brownies!
Oh, and a quick note note the recipe — you will see it calls for dehydrated cherries or dried cherries — I would recommend dehydrating them yourself, but don’t hurt yourself over it. If you are in a pinch and you need some bars ASAP, just buy some dehydrated cherries at the store – it will be okay ?. I am working on a how-to dehydrate fruits post, but it isn’t quite ready yet! For now, there are lots of great resources out there to walk you through the process! I promise the result will be worth it ?
Also, if you are in the market for a new photography board – visit our Etsy Store!
- 4¼ cup whole wheat flour, sifted
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon finely ground coffee
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup coconut butter
- 1¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 Teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1-2 cups chocolate chunks
- 1 cup dehydrated/dried cherries
- 1-2 Tablespoons of water, as needed
- sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In skillet, brown butter (melt butter and then let simmer until it turns brown and gives off of slightly nutty smell).
- Pour into glass container and add coconut butter to allow it to melt.
- Place container in refrigerator to cool slightly.
- In medium bowl, combine whole wheat flour, salt, baking soda and coffee grounds.
- Mix well.
- Remove brown butter mixture from fridge and pour into stand mixer.
- Add coconut sugar, honey, vanilla, egg and egg white.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Slowly add dry ingredient mixture.
- Add water as needed to ensure mixture remains wet and you can mix everything together.
- Fold in chocolate and cherries.
- Place a piece of parchment paper in 9x13 baking pan and spray with non-stick.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.