Our quick and easy Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits is the ultimate comfort food! Made with juicy chicken, fresh vegetables, and golden brown biscuits on top. It will quickly become the new family favorite recipe!
The Best Chicken Pot Pie With Biscuits Recipe
If you are looking for a delicious and easy dinner recipe that the whole family will love, look no further! This chicken pot pie casserole with biscuits is perfect for making on all those chilly winter nights.
The homemade creamy chicken filling and flaky buttermilk biscuits come together for the best one skillet dinner! We love making this hearty chicken pot pie recipe when we are craving the amazing flavors of a homemade chicken pot pie but want to make it a little more simple by using refrigerated biscuits instead of an actual pie crust.
Do you have leftover turkey from Thanksgiving dinner? Try making our Turkey Pot Pie with Biscuits!
What You Will Need
- butter – option to sub with plant-based butter or vegan butter.
- garlic & sweet yellow onion – the perfect flavor starters for any homemade chicken recipes!
- carrots, celery, potato, & frozen peas – we love this combination of fresh and frozen vegetables, but feel free to use a bag of mixed vegetables from the freezer to make it even easier. Green beans would also be great in this classic filling!
- all-purpose flour – used as the thickening agent for the creamy filling.
- chicken stock – you can make your own homemade chicken broth or pick-up a store-bought version at the local grocery store.
- cream – use a heavy cream or lighten things up by using NutPods unsweetened creamer!
- dried thyme leaves, kosher salt, & ground black pepper – simple seasonings that add the perfect amount of flavor.
- lemon zest – just a little bit to brighten the flavors with a touch of acidity.
- cooked chicken – option to use leftover chicken, pick-up a store-bought rotisserie chicken, or follow one of our 3 different ways to easily make shredded chicken!
- refrigerated biscuits – you can find these store-bought biscuits in the refrigerated section of the store or take the time to make homemade biscuits.
Now bring a large skillet to a medium high heat, add 1 tablespoon of butter to melt, minced garlic, and then the carrots, celery, onion, peas, and potatoes. Sauté all the vegetables together for about 5-6 minutes.
Next, add the rest of the butter to melt and then the flour. Mix everything together to coat the vegetables into a thick paste.
While keeping the hot pan on a medium heat, gradually pour in the broth and cream a little bit at a time, whisking continuously. Once all the liquid has been added and thickened a bit to make a creamy sauce, add the seasonings and cubed chicken to the pan.
Mix to fully combine, cover the pan, and let it simmer for about 6-8 minutes to let the veggies soften.
Uncover the pan and place the biscuit dough in a single layer on top of the filling.
Place the entire skillet in the preheated oven to bake at 350 degrees F for about 30-35 minutes of baking time or until the biscuit topping is golden brown on top.
Serve immediately and enjoy with the whole family!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits – an easy chicken pot pie with biscuits recipe that is cozy, comforting and kid-friendly! So simple!
- 4 tablespoons butter (vegan butter works), divided
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 3/4 cup carrots, sliced and/or quartered
- 3/4 cup celery, sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup russet potato, small cubes
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour (gluten-free works)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup Nutpods unsweetened/unflavored creamer OR heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon very fine lemon zest (I used a microplane)*
- 2 cups chicken meat, cooked & cubed or just cut into bite-sized chunks
- 16.3 oz can of refrigerated biscuits**
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bring a large cast iron skillet to medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon butter and let melt; swirl to coat. Add garlic and move around until fragrant – about 30 seconds.
- Add onion, carrots, celery, peas and potatoes. Sauté for 5-6 minutes or until veggies are starting to soften.
- Add remaining 3 tablespoons of butter and let melt; stir to coat veggies. Add flour and stir to coat veggies again.
- Grab a small whisk and slowly start adding in the broth, about 1/3 cup at a time, and then whisk to combine with the flour. Continue whisking while adding the broth and then the creamer until you have a nice thick consistency – ensure the heat remains high enough for the liquid to come to a light simmer, this will help it continue to thicken if it doesn’t do so initially.
- Add salt, pepper, thyme, lemon zest and chicken. Stir to combine. Taste chicken pot pie filling and adjust any seasonings to your liking. Cover and let gently simmer, approx. 6-8 minutes so the veggies can become tender.
- Uncover the pan, open the can of biscuits, and place them in a single layer on top of the chicken mixture. Place the whole skillet in the oven to bake, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes.
- Check to make sure the biscuits are cooked all the way through. If they aren’t, continue checking them every 5 minutes until they are done (ours took 30 minutes).
- Serve immediately.
- *lemon zest: you don’t want a lot of lemon zest or too much of the flavor will come through – we just want a little bit thrown in to help brighten the flavors.
- **Biscuits: we used Annie’s biscuits and they took about 30-35 minutes to fully bake. Your cook time might vary depending on what biscuits you use.
- Homemade Biscuits: for this recipe, we opted to go for ease – we love a good homemade biscuit though, so feel free to make them from scratch if you would rather!
- Make Ahead: the chicken pot pie filling can easily be prepared ahead of time and kept in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you are ready to cook it, bring it to room temperature, add the biscuits, and follow the rest of the instructions of the recipe card.
- Storage: leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Serving Size: 6oz
- Calories: 260
- Sugar: 3.5 g
- Sodium: 813.1 mg
- Fat: 12.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 24.3 g
- Protein: 12.9 g
- Cholesterol: 42.8 mg
Keywords: chicken pot pie with biscuits