This quick and easy Chicken Piccata Pasta recipe is a classic Italian dish made with tender chicken cutlets, a buttery lemon-based sauce, capers, fresh lemon slices, and perfectly cooked spaghetti noodles! Perfect for a flavorful, quick dinner on those busy weeknights!
Easy Chicken Piccata Pasta
In our family we are big fans of making a simple weeknight dinner that packs a big flavor punch. This simple chicken recipe is the absolute best way to enjoy the classic chicken piccata! The light & refreshing flavors of the lemon sauce are the perfect compliment to the seared chicken breasts! It has quickly become a family favorite that we will be making again and again.
Looking for more easy chicken recipes? Try our Parmesan Chicken Orzo – so easy and so good!
What You Will Need
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts – we love cutting our chicken breasts lengthwise to make thinner chicken cutlets that will cook faster!
- flour, garlic powder, onion powder, & Italian seasoning – a flavorful coating for the chicken before searing them in your large skillet.
- butter & olive oil – a little bit of each in the pan to sear your butterflied chicken breasts.
- shallots & garlic – classic flavor additions to this easy Italian recipe.
- chicken broth – just grab your favorite one from your local grocery store.
- white wine – option to omit if that isn’t your thing. You just might need to add a little more chicken broth.
- lemon juice, lemon zest, & lemon slices – traditional ingredients for any chicken piccata recipe.
- capers – another classic ingredient for this dish and they add a nice, slightly salty flavor.
- reserved pasta water – we like to reserve a little for adding to the final pasta, if needed.
- spaghetti noodles – you can really use any noodle you want, even gluten-free noodles.
- optional toppings: shaved parmesan cheese & fresh parsley
How To Make Chicken Piccata Pasta
To begin this delicious chicken recipe, you have the option of cutting your chicken breasts lengthwise into thinner chicken cutlets. The step is not a must but they will cook faster this way!
After you have cut all of your chicken breasts into cutlets you can set them aside on a plate.
In a separate medium bowl you can mix the flour, garlic powder, onion powder, and Italian seasoning. Then, working one at a time, place the chicken cutlets in the flour mixture and toss to fully coat.
Once all of the chicken cutlets have been fully coated you can set them aside on a plate.
Now bring a large cast iron skillet to medium-high heat and add a tablespoon of olive oil and butter. Then sear the chicken cutlets for 1-3 minutes on each side. This may need to be done in batches.
Remove the chicken from the skillet, add the remaining tablespoons of butter, and the garlic and shallots to sauté for about 1 minute.
Next, add the chicken broth, wine, lemon juice, lemon zest, lemon slices, and capers.
Nestle the seared chicken back into the skillet and simmer on a lower heat for about 5-10 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees F (use a meat thermometer).
While your chicken finishes cooking you can boil your noodles of choice in a separate saucepan according to their package directions. Drain the pasta and make sure you reserve some of the pasta water. Remove the chicken & lemon slices from the pan, add in the pasta, and a splash or two of the reserved pasta water, if needed. Toss to combine.
Serve the noodles with the chicken and lemon slices on top.
Pro tip: we love to garnish this dish with fresh chopped parsley and shaved parmesan cheese.
What Should I Serve With Chicken Piccata
There are so many great options to serve with this traditional chicken piccata pasta! We love enjoying it with some delicious vegetables, like garlic green beans, steamed broccoli, or grilled asparagus. It would also be good with some garlic bread or a slice of grilled bread!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Don’t forget to check out my Instagram account for some behind-the-scenes action! Or give me a follow on Facebook or see what I am pinning on Pinterest!
Chicken Piccata Pasta
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner/Entree
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Italian-Inspired
Chicken Piccata Pasta – a delicious, flavorful and easy chicken piccata pasta recipe that is perfect for a busy weeknight dinner option!
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into cutlets
- 3/4 cup flour (all-purpose or gluten-free)
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1/2 cup reserved pasta water
- 1/2 pound spaghetti noodles (regular or gluten-free)
- parmesan cheese and fresh parsley for serving
- Chicken Cutlets: take each boneless, skinless chicken breast and cut in half lengthwise to create two thin cutlets (these will cook faster and more evenly than whole chicken breasts). Season each cutlet with a little kosher salt and pepper; set aside.
- Prep Cutlets: In a medium bowl combine flour, garlic powder, onion powder and Italian seasoning. Stir to combine. Taking chicken cutlets one at a time, place them in the flour mixture and ensure each piece is fully coated. Place coated chicken cutlets on plate; set aside. Discard flour mixture.
- Sear Chicken: Bring large cast iron skillet to medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter. Let butter melt and then, in batches, cook chicken cutlets 1-3 minute per side or until chicken is light golden brown. Place chicken on a clean plate; set aside.
- Sauce: Add remaining 2 tablespoons of butter to the pan along with the shallots and garlic. Sauté for 1-2 minutes. Add broth, white wine, lemon juice, lemon zest, lemon slices and capers. Nestle chicken back into the pan and bring to a gentle simmer for 5-10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Cook Pasta: Meanwhile, cook pasta al dente according to package instructions – drain and reserve a cup of pasta water.
- Finish: remove chicken and lemon slices from the cast iron skillet – place on a plate and set aside. Add cooked pasta to the cast iron skillet and toss in the lemon sauce. Add a splash or two of pasta water, as needed, to help coat all the noodles with the lemon sauce.
- Serve: Divide pasta between plates and top with chicken. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and shaved parmesan cheese.
- Dairy-Free: to make this recipe dairy-free use a plant-based butter and omit the parmesan cheese.
- Gluten-Free: to make this gluten-free use a gluten-free pasta.
- Storage: store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
- Serving Size: 6oz
- Calories: 250
- Sugar: 2.2 g
- Sodium: 233.8 mg
- Fat: 8.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 35.1 g
- Protein: 8.2 g
- Cholesterol: 24 mg
Keywords: chicken piccata pasta
Leave a Rating & Comment