These soft and chewy Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bars are the perfect way to use all that late summer, ripe zucchini! They are packed with oats, whole wheat flour, flax, with a touch of sweetness from some brown sugar & chocolate chips, and, of course, lots of shredded zucchini.
Easy Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bars
Towards the end of summer we always have a ton of zucchini exploding from our backyard garden, which means we are finding and developing any recipe that uses this delicious late summer vegetable. If we aren’t shredding zucchini to make these delicious bars or zucchini cookies, you can find us making stuffed zucchini or zucchini spaghetti! There are so many great recipes to make at the end of summer.
What You Will Need
- grated zucchini – you can freshly grate some zucchini from the garden or your local grocery store, or pull some shredded zucchini that you stored in the freezer.
- rolled oats & whole wheat flour – these help bind everything together and add additional fiber.
- ground flax – for an extra nutrient punch!
- baking soda & kosher salt – these help the bars rise a bit and support their structure.
- eggs – these also help with the structure of the bars.
- brown sugar – option to use brown sugar or coconut sugar, whatever works for you!
- butter – we used regular butter, but you could also use a plant-based butter if you want them to be dairy-free.
- vanilla extract – perfect for a splash of added flavor.
- chocolate chips – always a must! Perfect for a touch of sweetness and you could also make these dairy-free, if you want.
How Should I Shred The Zucchini For These Bars
We actually have a step-by-step tutorial on how to easily shred (or grate) fresh zucchini that you can checkout. It is super simple! You basically cut the end of the zucchini off and then firmly slide your zucchini down your grater (image shown below). This process will only take a few minutes.
Should I Squeeze The Excess Water Out Of The Zucchini Before Using
Yes! For this recipe we definitely recommend that you use a cheesecloth or paper towel to squeeze out any extra moisture out of the shredded zucchini before adding it to the batter. This will help to ensure that your bars don’t get too mushy and then fall apart.
Can I Use Frozen Grated Zucchini
Absolutely! When we have a zillion zucchini coming out of the garden we love to shred it and freeze it to use throughout the year. This simple tutorial can take you through that very simple process. If you are using frozen grated zucchini, you want to make sure you thaw it and then squeeze out the moisture before using.
These bars can be stored in an airtight container on the counter for 2-3 days, after that you will want to move them to the fridge. You could also freeze these delicious bars. Simply wait until they have cooled completely, place a tight cover on top or transfer to a freezer-safe container, and you can store them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How To Make Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bars
First, you can begin by shredding your fresh zucchini with a large grater and then squeeze out the extra moisture.
Next, place all of your dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
Then you can beat the eggs in a stand mixing bowl and add brown sugar, vanilla extract, and melted butter to it.
Next, add the dry ingredients to the stand mixing bowl and mix to fully combine.
Now, gently fold in the shredded zucchini and chocolate chips.
Pour the batter into a prepared 9×9 baking pan and bake at 350 degrees F for 18-22 minutes.
Let them cool and enjoy!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Don’t forget to check out my Instagram account for some behind-the-scenes action! Or give me a follow on Facebook or see what I am pinning on Pinterest!
Other Zucchini Recipes You Might Like:
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bars
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 9 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bars – an easy, delicious zucchini bar recipe made simple, real ingredients! The perfect end of summer dessert!
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/8 cup ground flax
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 1/2 cup butter (regular or dairy-free)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips (semi-sweet or dairy-free)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grate zucchini and squeeze out excess moisture, set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine flour, oats, flax, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Add eggs to a stand mixer bowl and beat on medium for 30 seconds.
- Add melted butter to eggs along with vanilla extract and brown sugar.
- Beat until thoroughly mixed.
- While stand mixer is on low slowly add in the dry ingredients.
- Stop the stand mixer and gently fold in the zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Pour into a prepared 9×9 pan. Add any additional chocolate chips on top.
- Place in oven, middle rack, and bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and place pan on a cooling rack – let cool 10-15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.
- Grated Zucchini – measure zucchini before you squeeze out the water.
- Storage: store on the counter-top in an airtight container for a few days then move to the fridge.
Keywords: zucchini bars, chocolate chip zucchini bars
Hi Erin, Will this come out okay if I don’t use whole wheat flour, but use gluten free instead?
Hi Mary-Beth – I haven’t tested these yet with a gluten-free substitute, but I feel like it *should* work! Let me know if you try it!