Healthy Zucchini Muffins – light and fluffy zucchini muffins that are gluten-free AND vegan! Perfect for those extra zucchini you have laying around!
(Gluten-Free + Dairy-Free + Plant-Based)
This post is sponsored by Califia Farms, but the opinions are my own.
It’s zucchini season!
Fall is right around the corner and we all have a ton of zucchini and tomatoes from our garden laying around so let’s get cooking (and baking)! These Healthy Zucchini Muffins are vegan + gluten-free and I am SO excited to get them on the blog for you! Tested and tested I FINALLY got the perfect light and fluffy texture that can be difficult to achieve sometimes with gf/df baking!
Of course they are dairy-free thanks to my friends over at Califia Farms! Their Unsweetened Almondmilk (seriously my go-to for all things dairy-free) always works perfectly in baked goods and for these we also added a little bit of their Plant Butter! Both are products I always have on hand – they taste amazing and work so well in all of my recipes! I love that that Plant Butter isn’t made with any canola or palm oil!
How to Store
Store in an airtight container on the counter top for up to 5 days (if they last that long!).
- Banana: I have used oil in place of the banana with success.
- Flax Eggs: You should be able to use 2 eggs in their place.
- Gluten-Free Flour: I have NOT tested the recipe with any other flour besides the combination in the recipe card!
Recipes FAQs and Tips
- Spray your muffin tin liners: otherwise they will stick!
- Flax Eggs: make sure they sit for at least 5 minutes (or longer) to really congeal
- Don’t over-mix: once you add in those flax eggs try not to mix anymore than you need too! The flax eggs will work better that way!
- Take out of muffin tin: Let the muffins cool for about 5 minutes or so after you take them out of the oven, but then remove them (carefully) and set them on a cooling rack.
- Let fully cool: I repeat – let fully cool! Especially with gluten-free baking it is especially important to let them cool and the moisture/steam escape. Once they are cooled they will be light and fluffy on the inside!
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
Thank you so much for reading & supporting The Wooden Skillet! This post includes affiliate links for products I actually use in my own home and personally recommend. Should you make a purchase using one of these links, The Wooden Skillet will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you, which helps me continue to bring you great original content. Thank you!Print
- 1 cup 1-to-1 gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup gluten free oats
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon xanthum gum
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- heaping 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup banana, smashed (about 1 small banana)
- 1/2 cup Califia Farms Unsweetened Almondmilk
- 2 flax eggs
- 2 tablespoons ground flax meal, divided
- 4 tablespoons water, divided
- 1 cup zucchini, grated
- 1/3–1/2 cup dairy free chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon Califia Farms Plant Butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Place muffin tin liners in a 12 muffin tin and spray with olive oil. Set aside.
- Take two small bowls and make two flax eggs by adding 1 tablespoon of ground flax meal to each bowl and then 2 tablespoons of water to each bowl. Stir to mix the flax and water together and then set aside for at least 5 minutes.
- Grate your zucchini and squeeze out as much liquid as possible using either your hands, paper towel or cheese cloth (don’t skip this part!). Set aside.
- Combine Dry Ingredients in a medium mixing bow. Stir to combine with a fork or whisk to ensure no lumps and that everything combines really well. Set aside.
- Take a large mixing bowl and add applesauce, mashed banana and almond milk. Stir to combine.
- Add the two flax eggs to the applesauce mixture and mix gently for just a few seconds.
- Add the zucchini to the applesauce mixture and gently mix for just a few seconds.
- Pour the Dry Ingredients about a 1/3 at a time into the Wet Ingredients and stir to combine.
- Once the wet and dry ingredients are fully combined (don’t over-mix) add the chocolate chips and melted Plant Butter.
- Stir to combine, again being careful to not over-stir.
- Scoop dough into muffin liners, filling almost to the top (they will rise a bit).
- Bake on the middle rack for 32 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for 2-3 minutes and then carefully remove and place on a cooling rack as soon as possible.
- Let fully cool before serving.
- Spray with olive oil (or nonstick): definitely remember to spray the muffin tin liners or the muffins will stick!
- Flax Eggs Separately: I have just had better luck making my flax eggs separately.
- Flax Egg Substitutions: I have tested these with eggs and it was successful!
- Let cool!: Make sure you let these fully cool! If you break them open before they are fully cool they may look a little mushy in the very center. Once they have cooled they will be fluffy and delicious!
Keywords: healthy zucchini muffins, vegan zucchini muffins, gluten free zucchini muffins