If you are wondering how to make perfectly Grilled Zucchini, you have come to the right place! It is the perfect summer side dish that only uses 4 simple ingredients and the whole family will love enjoying it during those summer months!
Perfectly Grilled Zucchini
Don’t be intimidated by that grill! Grilling is a great way to make dinner – it is quick, easy and has minimal clean-up! That is definitely our kind of dinner, so when we are already making our main course on the grill, it is so easy to toss some zucchini on the grill to enjoy as a delicious side dish. This simple grilled zucchini recipe is a great low-carb, dairy-free, and gluten-free option! Feel free to keep it simple like we did with some salt and pepper or you can dress it up with some other flavors and add some garlic, red pepper flakes, lemon juice, herbs, or a sprinkle of parmesan cheese after cooking. And if you love grilling as much as we do, we highly suggest that you try grilling a variety of different vegetables!
What You Will Need
- large zucchini (summer squash) – we typically have lots of zucchini growing right in the garden or we pick some up for our local farmer’s market or grocery store.
- olive oil – brush it with some olive oil to prevent sticking and help with roasting.
- kosher salt & pepper – a simple seasoning that is perfect on any grilled veggie.
How To Grill Zucchini
The first step to grilling perfect zucchini, is to cut the tops and bottoms of the zucchini off and discard.
How Do You Cut Zucchini For Grilling
We like using a sharp, chef’s knife or a mandolin to cut zucchini length-wise into 1/2 inch slabs. Cutting in this way results in a nice piece that can lay across the grill grates and doesn’t fall through very easily, plus they are big enough to flip with a pair of tongs. You also always have the option of cooking them on a grill pan, if you want.
Carefully cut each zucchini, lengthwise, into 1/2 inch thick planks on a cutting board.
Place the sliced zucchini on a large baking sheet.
Lightly brush a little bit of olive oil on both sides of the long planks.
Should You Salt Zucchini Before Grilling
Yes, for best results we like adding a bit of seasoning or salt to the zucchini right before placing it on the grill. Just make sure you don’t salt the zucchini too far ahead of time or it will cause some of the liquid or juices to begin leaching out.
Place the seasoned zucchini slices in a single layer on a clean, preheated grill and cook for about 2 minutes on each side.
How To You Keep Grilled Zucchini From Getting Soggy
This is all about timing. You don’t want to cook your zucchini for too long or it will begin to get soggy. Start by making sure you get the grill nice and hot, then cook your zucchini slabs for about 2 minutes on each side. As soon as you get some nice char marks on both sides you can take this delicious summer side dish off the grill.
Once they have nice grill marks on the outside you can carefully remove them from the grill with a pair of tongs. This process can also be done to make grilled yellow squash!
Best Ways To Serve Grilled Zucchini
There are so many great ways to enjoy this easy grilled zucchini recipe! We typically serve this healthy side dish alongside a grilled main dish, like grilled steaks, grilled salmon fillets, an ultimate grilled chicken sandwich, or perfectly grilled pork chops. They could also be cut into smaller pieces and added to a casserole, quesadilla, tacos, or some of your favorite summer salads!
We highly suggest serving them with a variety of other grilled vegetables that are also delicious! Our simple tutorial on grilling these veggies is on the blog – go check it out!
- meal prep: if you already have the grill heated up to cook something, just toss some of this zucchini on with it, and store in the fridge to enjoy the next day or later in the week!
- flavor variations: we kept this recipe card simple with salt & pepper, but you could also add any of your favorite seasonings, like garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, balsamic vinegar, fresh lemon juice, or some red pepper flakes for a little bit of a kick.
- storage: grilled zucchini can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Grilled Zucchini (How to Grill Zucchini) – learn how to easily grill zucchini like a pro! Makes the perfect side dish and leftovers!
- 2–3 medium zucchini (whole, raw)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt & ground black pepper
- Cut the ends off of each zucchini and discard.
- Cut zucchini, lengthwise, into 1/2 inch strips or planks.
- Place zucchini strips on baking sheet and brush with olive oil (enough to lightly coat).
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the grill to medium heat (450 degrees F). Place the zucchini planks directly on the hot grill grates and grill over direct heat for approximately 2 minutes per side or until they are tender and have char marks.
- Remove and serve immediately.
- Storage: to store simply place in airtight container and place in refrigerator for 2-3 days.
- Seasoning: we kept it simple with kosher salt & pepper, but you could also add garlic powder, dried basil, or oregano.
Keywords: how to grill zucchini, grilled zucchini