Our Fajita Seasoning recipe uses a simple blend of simple Mexican spices to ensure that your fajitas have all the traditional flavors. Use this seasoning blend on steak for our delicious chili lime steak fajitas or in your next batch of fajita veggies. And be sure to check out our cilantro lime sauce complete with sour cream and zesty lime juice to get the full fajita experience.
Quick And Easy Homemade Fajita Seasoning
Quickly make up your own fajita seasoning using stable cupboard spices. We love to make our own homemade fajita seasoning mix for the cost savings and the ability to make a big batch for future uses. Plus, the flavor of the store-bought versions just aren’t as fresh. And if you’re planning out your weekly menu, be sure to add our Chili Lime Steak Fajitas or Steak Fajita Bowls. They’re to die for.
What Is In Fajita Seasoning
- chili powder – The main ingredient in this blend, which we love for its aromatic and savory flavors.
- kosher salt – Just a bit to enhance all the flavors. Adjust the amount of salt to your liking.
- paprika – This is one of the milder spices that has an almost vegetable-like flavor.
- onion powder – Classic notes of onion with a slight roasted flavor.
- ground cayenne pepper– Medium spiciness level with a smokey flavor.
- ground cumin – A warming nutty flavor.
- dried oregano leaves – A pungent flavor that pairs perfectly with the other spices.
- ground black pepper – Just a little bit goes a long way.
How To Make Fajita Seasoning
Pre-measure all of your fresh spices for your fajita mix. Use this as an opportunity to double the recipe if you want more on hand to use at a later date.
Place all of the seasonings in a small bowl.
Lastly, mix all of the ingredients together until there is a uniform blended color throughout the bowl.
Hold on to empty spice jars to use as containers for your homemade blends. Or pick up a small jar from your local grocery store. Just be sure to wash, rinse, and dry them thoroughly and add a new label with the new spice blend name.
Now the fun part. Cooking! Use your cast iron skillet and this seasoning blend to whip up veggie fajitas using vegetables like red onion and bell peppers. Or toss it on skirt steak, chicken or shrimp to yield full flavored, authentic fajitas. Use this seasoning on our Chili Lime Steak Fajitas and get ready to have a new favorite weeknight menu item.
- storage – Store in an airtight jar in a dry place like a spice cabinet or pantry for up to 6 months.
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Fajita Seasoning Recipe – a super simple, flavorful fajita seasoning recipe that is perfect for steak, chicken or shrimp!
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Combine ingredients in a small bowl.
- Stir to combine.
- Use in your favorite fajita recipe – we love these Chili Lime Steak Fajitas!
- Storage: store fajita seasoning in an airtight container in the pantry for up to 6 months.
Keywords: fajita seasoning