This delicious and healthy Chicken Fajita Bowl is an easy meal to make on all those busy weeknights! Made with tender, juicy chicken, fluffy rice, fresh fajita veggies, and all the best fajita bowl toppings. The whole family can build their bowl any way they want!
The Best Chicken Fajita Bowl
If you are in need of some new, healthy dinner recipes, look no further! This super easy chicken fajita bowl recipe is just what you need. These skillet chicken fajitas are made entirely in one pan and then you can prepare your rice OR cauliflower rice in a separate pan, Instant Pot, rice cooker, whatever works for you!
One of the best parts of these chicken fajita bowl recipes is that they are so great for meal prepping. Just cook up or mix together all the pieces, store in separate containers, and then reheat and serve when you are ready to enjoy them!
Looking to mix-up the protein option of your fajita bowl? Try our Steak Fajitas Bowls!
What You Will Need
- fajita chicken marinade – this simple homemade chicken fajita marinade bring so much amazing flavor to your chicken, in only 30 minutes!
- chicken broth – just a splash in the pan to help deglaze the pan after you cook the chicken.
- garlic – everything is always better with a little bit of fresh garlic in the mix!
- red onion & sweet yellow onion – a combination of onion flavors that is so good.
- bell peppers – a variety of colorful sweet peppers are always an essential chicken fajita ingredient.
- fajita seasoning – this easy homemade fajita seasoning can be made with your staple pantry ingredients and has big flavor!
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts – we like using this cut of chicken, but you could also use boneless, skinless chicken thighs or chicken tenders.
- kosher salt & ground black pepper – simple ingredients that are always a must when cooking any type of meat.
- rice of choice – feel free to use jasmine rice, basmati rice, brown rice, or add even more flavor with cilantro lime rice or cilantro lime cauliflower rice.
- tortillas – use flour tortillas or corn tortillas as another way to enjoy your traditional fajitas.
- optional toppings: cilantro lime sauce, fresh guacamole, sour cream, grilled corn, pico de gallo, avocado slices, corn salsa, lime wedges, fresh cilantro, & cotija cheese.
How To Make Chicken Fajita Bowls
The first steps to making this chicken fajita rice bowl is to gather the ingredients for marinating the chicken.
Mix the chicken fajita marinade in a small bowl.
After slicing the chicken into thin strips or tenders, place them in a large bowl or plastic storage bag, and pour the marinade over the top. Mix to make sure all pieces of chicken are coated in the marinade and cover with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Now bring a large cast iron skillet to a medium heat, add a drizzle of olive oil, and then sauté the seasoned chicken tenders in a single layer for 8-10 minutes of cooking time or until cooked through.
Carefully remove the cooked chicken from the pan and set aside on a large plate. While keeping the pan at a medium high heat, pour in the chicken broth and move around the pan to scrap up any chicken bits.
Add the garlic to the pan and then the fresh veggies, plus fajita seasoning. Continue moving everything around in the pan until they are cooked to your person preference. For best results, add a little olive oil or chicken broth along the way to keep the pan from drying out.
Then add the chicken and any pan juices on the plate back to the skillet. Mix to fully combine.
Finally, it’s time to build the chicken fajita bowl!
Best Way To Serve A Chicken Fajita Bowl
The fresh topping options for these delicious chicken fajita bowls is endless! We love to start with that fluffy bed of rice, add the fajita chicken, fajita veggies, and then pile on everything from homemade guacamole to the most amazing cilantro lime sauce (the same toppings we love on our traditional Chicken Fajitas). For a full list of our favorite toppings, check out the recipe card below!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Chicken Fajita Bowl – a delicious, flavorful homemade chicken fajita bowl that is perfect for meal prep and kid-friendly!
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika (smoked paprika, if you can find it)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (smoked garlic powder, if you can find it)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1–2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3–4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- (optional) 1-2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into tenders
- 2–3 tablespoons chicken broth, more if needed
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
- 3 bell peppers (red, green, orange), sliced
- 2 tablespoons fajita seasoning
- additional kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
Chicken Fajita Bowl:
- Prepare Chicken: Season chicken lightly with salt and pepper – pressing the salt and pepper into the meat. Place chicken in a large reusable silicone bag or glass baking dish and set aside.
- Marinate Chicken: Add chili powder, kosher salt, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne, oregano, pepper, lime juice, olive oil and fresh cilantro (if using) into a small bowl. Whisk until well combined. Pour the marinade over the chicken, ensuring it is fully coated. Seal and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or more.
- Cook Chicken: Bring a large skillet to medium-high heat. Add some oil, swirl to coat the pan. Remove chicken from marinade letting excess marinade drip off; discard leftover marinade. Place chicken in the hot pan and sear 8-10 minutes or until the internal temperature of the thickest part of the chicken reaches 160 degrees F. (use an internal meat thermometer for accuracy) – during the cooking process turn down the heat, as-needed, if your skillet really gets hot and/or add a little extra oil if the pan is dry – to avoid burning. Squeeze fresh lime juice over chicken and stir. Remove from skillet and let the chicken rest on a plate while you cook the veggies.
- Cook Veggies: Keeping pan at a medium-high heat, add 2-3 tablespoons of chicken broth to deglaze the pan – use a spatula to scrape up the bits from the bottom of the pan. Add garlic and move around pan until it becomes fragrant, approx. 1 minute. Add onion, bell peppers and the fajita seasoning. Stir to combine. Add additional broth or olive oil to pan if you feel it is getting a bit dry.
- Finish Veggies: Sauté for approx. 10-15 minutes or until the peppers have reached your desired doneness (cook shorter for a more firm, but tender pepper – longer for a softer pepper). Taste and add any additional salt or pepper, to taste.
- Add Chicken: Return the chicken back to the skillet, along with any juices that have gathered. Stir to combine. Taste and add any additional fresh lime juice, fresh cilantro or salt – as needed.
- Serve: In each bowl add some cilantro lime rice, chicken, fajita veggies, corn salsa, guacamole, sour cream (or cilantro lime sauce), fresh cilantro, tomatoes and fresh lime wedges.
- Chicken Options: if you don’t want to use chicken breast – chicken thighs could also be used.
- Storage: place in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. We recommend storing the meat, veggies, sauce, salsa, etc. each in a separate container to reheat easier the next day and to prevent sogginess.
- Next Level: we HAVE to give a shout out to this Cilantro Lime Sauce – it is just what you need to take this rice bowl to the next level. We use it on our Steak Fajitas Rice Bowl and everyone LOVES it! This corn salsa is also amazing if you want to level up your grilled corn!
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 210
- Sugar: 4.9 g
- Sodium: 615.5 mg
- Fat: 9.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.7 g
- Protein: 18.9 g
- Cholesterol: 55.3 mg
Keywords: chicken fajita bowl