Our Gluten Free Peanut Butter Blossoms are so light, fluffy, and delicious that nobody will be able to tell they are gluten-free! You definitely want to add this easy recipe to your cookie baking list this holiday season!
The Best Gluten Free Peanut Butter Blossoms
It is that time of year! Time to gather the whole family in the kitchen for some holiday baking! One of our all-time favorite Christmas cookies to make every year are the classic peanut butter blossoms. It is a tasty and fluffy peanut butter cookie, tossed in a sprinkling of sugar, and topped with a chocolate kiss. What could be better!?
We decided that it was time to have a gluten-free version on the site for all of our family and friends that follow a gluten-free diet. These delicious gluten-free peanut butter blossom cookies turned out so delicious that nobody will even know that it is the gluten-free version!
Looking for more gluten-free cookie options? Try our Gluten Free Sugar Cookies! Perfect for making into cut-out cookies and decorating. Or the Gluten Free Molasses Cookies (which we also turned into Whoopie Pies!).
What You Will Need
- butter – we used regular unsalted butter but you could also use vegan butter for a dairy-free option, but the texture might not be quite the same.
- creamy natural peanut butter – love a good creamy, drippy peanut butter. If yours is a little thick, you can put some in the microwave to make it more creamy.
- pure cane sugar & light brown sugar – the perfect sugar combination to bring all the sweetness.
- egg – provides some structure for your cookies. You could also use a flax egg.
- vanilla extract – just a little bit for the added flavor!
- cassava flour, almond flour, & 1-to-1 gluten-free flour – a combination of flours that keep provide a fluffy texture but still gluten-free.
- kosher salt – just a pinch of salt to also help with the structure of the cookie dough.
- baking soda & baking powder – these are what helps provide the light & fluffy texture.
- xanthan gum – a thickening agent that helps stabilize the cookie dough.
- hershey kisses – we love a classic Hershey’s kiss, but feel free to use any of your favorites – dark chocolate, Hershey hugs, etc.
- granulated sugar – gently roll the dough balls in a little sugar for some added sweetness!
How To Make Gluten Free Peanut Butter Blossoms
The first steps to making this easy recipe are to mix the wet ingredients. Place the butter, peanut butter, cane sugar, and brown sugar in a mixing bowl and beat together with an electric hand mixer. Option to use a stand mixer with paddle attachment.
Next, add the egg and vanilla extract. Mix again to fully combine and set aside.
In a separate large bowl, add all of the dry ingredients – cassava flour, almond flour, gf flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and xanthan gum. Whisk to combine.
Now gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix it all together.
Time to make the cookies! Use your trusty cookie scoop to scoop one heaping tablespoon of the peanut butter cookie dough at a time and roll that between your hands to make a ball.
Roll that ball in a small bowl of granulated sugar to coat. Place the cookie dough balls on a sheet pan. Pro tip: use a silicone baking mat or parchment paper on cookie sheets! Clean-up is so much easier.
Bake cookies at 375 degrees F for 8-10 minutes of cook time. When they come out of the oven, press an unwrapped chocolate kiss in the center of the cookie. Option to transfer them to a plate and place that in the freezer for 5 minutes to cool them or leave them on the pan to cool at room temperature for a few minutes before moving to a wire rack.
Serve with some homemade dairy-free egg nog while you are decorating your Christmas tree or wrap them up and give them to a neighbor for a special holiday treat (these no-bake cookies are great for that too!).
Storage Tips: store in an air-tight container on the counter for 1 week or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Made this delicious recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
These are the BEST gluten-free peanut butter blossoms – you cannot even tell they are gluten-free! Easy, delicious, and perfect for Christmas!
- 1/2 cup butter (sub dairy-free butter)
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup pure cane sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup cassava flour
- 1/4 cup super fine almond flour
- 3/4 1-to-1 gluten free flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum*
- 24 Hershey’s kisses
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar (for coating)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Using a stand mixer (hand mixer works too) beat together the softened butter, peanut butter, cane sugar, and brown sugar. Add egg and vanilla, mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together cassava flour, almond flour, 1-to-1 gluten-free flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and xanthum gum.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stir to combine.
- Take a heaping tablespoon of the dough and roll into a ball between your hands.
- Place the granulated sugar in a shallow bowl. Roll each dough ball in the sugar, fully coating it. Prepare a baking sheet by placing a silicone baking mat on top – place the sugar coated dough balls on the pan. Ensure you leave approx. 1-2 inches between each ball, as cookies will spread.
- Bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and gently press down an unwrapped Hershey kiss in the center of each cookie. Feel free to transfer cookies to a plate or smaller baking sheet and place in the freezer for 5 minutes to cool more quickly.
- Remove and serve immediately or store in an airtight container on the counter for 1 week or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Storage: store in an air-tight container on the counter for 1 week or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- *Xanthan Gum: I know there is almost always already xanthan gum in 1-to-1 gluten free flours (like Bob’s Red Mill) but I do find adding a little bit extra just helps bind things together to result in an better texture – that being said these will turn out just fine without it, if you don’t already have some in your cupboard.
Keywords: gluten free peanut butter blossoms, peanut butter blossoms, holiday cookies, Christmas cookies