Gluten Free Strawberry Shortcake is a delicious version of your favorite shortcake … but gluten-free!
Gluten-Free Strawberry Shortcake
The Fourth of July just isn’t complete with some sort of Strawberry Shortcake -right? This version is for everyone who can’t handle gluten (either because you are allergic, it doesn’t sit well in your stomach or you just simply feel better if you omit it) … this recipe is easy, delicious and when it all comes together (shortcake, whipped cream, strawberries) that perfect bite is just so good!!! We also have a Homemade Whipped Cream for you to try or a Dairy-free Whipped Cream recipe – and don’t forget those macerated strawberries!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Gluten-Free: made with gluten-free flour!
- Thick and rich: which is what shortbread should be!
- Quick: this is actually a really easy and quick recipe, with only 15 minutes of cook time!
What You Will Need
- gluten-free flour: I always use Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 flour, but use what works best for you.
- coconut sugar: love using this unrefined sugar in recipes! It works so well!
- baking powder + baking soda: to help it rise as its cooking.
- kosher salt: adding a little salt helps accentuate the rest of the flavors.
- xanthum gum: you can omit this if you want, but it helps bind everything together since there isn’t any gluten used.
- cold butter (plant butter or regular): this is cut into the flour mixture – we use a lot of butter because that is kind of what shortbread is all about!
- egg: this helps bind everything together.
- unsweetened almond milk: to add some liquid.
- organic cane sugar: use use this on top as a little sugary crust.
Can You Make This Ahead of Time
Yes! You can easily make the shortbread ahead of time. Just store no the countertop, wrapped in foil for about one night. Anything beyond one night – store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
How to Make Gluten-Free Strawberry Shortcake
Combine your flour mixture.
Add in your cold butter and cut in.
Combine egg and almond milk.
Combine and stir. The dough is pretty thick.
Press dough into greased 8×8 pan.
Bake and then remove and let cool.
Top with whipped cream and strawberries!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Gluten Free Strawberry Shortcake – an easy and delicious summer dessert that is perfect for the 4th of July! Easy to make ahead!
- 2 cups 1-to-1 gluten-free flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthum gum
- 1/2 cup cold butter (1 stick)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon organic cane sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Combine flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda, kosher salt and xanthum gum in a medium mixing bowl.
- Slice or cube the butter and add to bowl. Cut in the butter with a fork or pastry blender until coarse and pebbly.
- In small bowl combine beaten egg and unsweetened almond milk. Pour into dry ingredients and mix until just moist. Spread into a well-greased 8×8 square baking dish; build up edges a bit. Sprinkle the top with cane sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes (middle rack).
- Remove and set on cooling rack and let cool slightly.
- We love serving it with Dairy-Free Whipped Cream (or regular homemade whipped cream) and Macerated Strawberries!
- Xanthum Gum: this can be omitted, but it just helps bind everything together really well.
Keywords: gluten free strawberry shortcake