This Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad Sandwich recipe can be made on the fly with leftover poached chicken and a few simple ingredients that are sure to wake up your tastebuds during that mid-day slump.
The Tastiest Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad Sandwich
We all love a hardworking sandwich in the middle of the day. This sandwich pulls its weight in taste, satiety, and simple ingredients that will have you adding it to your lunch menu time and time again. And wait for it… it’s healthy!
Greek yogurt brings the tanginess and creaminess that we know and love with additional protein and probiotics. We believe in balance around here, so add some Healthy Monster Cookies or this yummy Strawberry Banana Smoothie to round out your meal. Skeptical about the Greek yogurt? Try it for yourself (these Greek Yogurt Parfaits are also amazing!). You can thank us later.
Love Chicken Sandwiches – try our Ultimate Grilled Chicken Sandwich – another great summer sandwich idea!
What You Will Need
- shredded chicken – Use our guide on How to Shred Chicken Breast to prep your chicken for this yummy recipe or maybe just boil some chicken thighs quick.
- plain Greek yogurt – This hard working ingredient adds a creamy texture and the right amount of tang.
- dijon mustard – With a little bit of spice and heat, a little goes a long way with this classic ingredient.
- honey – Sweet and savory are the best pairings. That’s why a touch of honey is the perfect addition to this mostly savory recipe.
- slivered almonds or pecans – Either nut will provide just the right amount of crunch and texture.
- red or green grapes – A pop of color and subtle sweetness round out the flavor profile of this classic sandwich.
- celery – The freshness and crunchiness of this veggie lightens up the salad texture just enough.
- green onions and red onion – The sharp flavor of these onions pair nicely with the creaminess of the greek yogurt and sweetness of the grapes.
- kosher salt, ground black pepper, & dried tarragon leaves – these simple seasonings will bring a pop of flavor to all your other ingredients.
- lemon juice & grated lemon zest – The tart and refreshing lemon flavors help to lighten up and round out the multiple flavors in this chicken salad.
- bread of your choice – wheat, sourdough, white, you name it. Any bread will work fantastically on this sandwich.
- butter lettuce – It’s mild flavor and light and crisp texture gives you that satisfying crunch on your first bite.
How Should I Serve a Chicken Salad Sandwich
One of our favorite things about this recipe is its versatility. You can serve it on its own, topped on butter lettuce, or between two slices of bread. Any and all combinations are allowed here.
What Sides Can I Serve with this Sandwich
We love a classic Homemade Baked French Fry, or if you haven’t gotten your fill of veggies yet, add a classic salad or our Tomato Kale Salad on the side. And for those who need just a bit of sweetness to round out their meal, finish it off with our Strawberry Chia Pudding.
Does Greek Yogurt Make this Recipe Healthier than the Classic
If you’re looking at calories and protein, then yes. Greek Yogurt is a great source of protein and has less calories than traditional mayo. That being said, if you prefer mayo, by all means use it.
Store in an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
How to Make Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad Sandwich
Begin by prepping all of your ingredients and add them to a mixing bowl.
Stir to fully combine.
Top the salad mixture on top of some butter lettuce.
Enjoy an open faced sandwich by placing the butter lettuce and chicken salad on top of one slice of bread.
Or add the butter lettuce and the chicken salad mixture between two slices of bread and enjoy!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad Sandwich – a delicious chicken salad made without mayo! Packed with flavor and perfect on a sandwich!
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- 3/4 cup plain greek yogurt (more to taste)
- 2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoon honey (more to taste)
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup slivered almonds or pecans
- 1 cup red or green grapes, halved
- 1/2 cup celery, sliced (about 2 stalks)
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1–2 teaspoon dried tarragon leaves
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- approx. 2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- bread of your choice
- butter lettuce
- Combine Chicken Salad ingredients in medium-sized bowl. Stir to combine.
- Taste and adjust any seasoning or flavor, as-desired.
- Place some butter lettuce on a piece of bread, top with chicken salad and top with a final piece of bread – enjoy!
- Shredded Chicken: I love using this simple Poached Chicken recipe to make shredded chicken.
- Storage: store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Keywords: greek yogurt chicken salad, chicken salad sandwich