These easy Greek Chicken Bowls are made with tender Greek-marinated chicken thighs, cucumbers, kalamata olives, feta cheese, tomatoes, fluffy rice, & pita bread all topped with creamy tzatziki sauce! Top your bowl any way you want, we love to set out all the options for everyone to make the bowl the way they want.
Easy Greek Chicken Bowls
Here at The Wooden Skillet we love nothing more than a simple recipe that is full of all those traditional Greek flavors! Our regular meal rotation includes our Greek Chicken Meatballs, Warm Greek Pasta, Greek Chicken Salad, and now this healthy Greek chicken bowl too. With rice as the base, you can top your bowl any way you want! Or add even more veggies with cauliflower rice as the base. It is definitely going to become a new family favorite!
If you are looking for another quick and easy dinner option, our Greek Chicken Bake is another good one!
What You Will Need
- chicken thighs – we love using bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs but you could also use boneless chicken thighs or chicken breasts.
- Greek marinade – the recipe card below lists the ingredients needed to make this simple and flavorful marinade.
- feta cheese & kalamata olives – classic and traditional toppings that are always a must for a Greek-inspired recipes.
- red onions, bell pepper, english cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, & avocado – fresh vegetables that are perfect for this delicious rice bowl!
- Greek vinaigrette – option to pick some up from your local grocery store or make your own homemade vinaigrette.
- cooked rice – easily make jasmine rice in the Instant Pot or on the stovetop to make the perfect base.
- tzatziki sauce – quickly whip up your own tzatziki sauce in under 5 minutes or get a store-bought option. This whipped feta would be a great substitute!
- pita bread – we love adding a few pita triangles on the side, because why not!?
- garnish: lemon wedges & fresh parsley
How To Make Greek Chicken Bowls
First, you can begin by mixing up the marinade and pouring it over your chicken. Let them marinate for at least 30 minutes.
Pro tip: if you have the time, let the chicken marinate overnight!
When you are ready to cook the chicken, bring a large cast iron skillet to a medium high heat and add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Sear the chicken thighs for about 3-4 minutes with the skin-side down. Then flip the chicken and move the whole skillet to the oven and bake at 400 degrees F for 15-20 minutes or until the internal temp reaches 165 degrees F (use a meat thermometer).
Air Fryer Method: you can also cook the chicken thighs in the air fryer!
While the chicken is cooking you can prep your fresh vegetables. Put the prepped feta cheese, cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, bell pepper, and kalamata olives in a medium bowl. Drizzle the Greek vinaigrette over the top and mix to fully combine.
In a separate small bowl, mix-up the tzatziki sauce with a spoon.
Now it’s time to assemble your rice bowl. Place the rice on the bottom of the bowl and add the rest of the ingredients with a big dollop of tzatziki sauce on top!
- storage: the chicken, rice, fresh ingredients, and sauce can be stored in airtight containers in the fridge for 3-4 days. We just recommend storing them in separate containers!
- freezing: you could place the chicken and marinade in a freezer-safe container or bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before cooking. This will give your chicken even more flavor.
- chicken: another way to cook the chicken would be to grill or smoke your chicken thighs, but if you don’t have one of those or need to make them inside the cast iron works great!
- red onions: option to keep the red onion raw on top of your bowl or these quick-pickled red onions are amazing too!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Don’t forget to check out my Instagram account for some behind-the-scenes action! Or give me a follow on Facebook or see what I am pinning on Pinterest!
Other Recipes You Might Like
Greek Chicken Bowl
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4–6 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner/Entree
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Greek-Inspired
Greek Chicken Bowl – a light and delicious greek chicken bowl recipe that is perfect for any night of the week!
Greek Chicken Thighs
- 4–6 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 1/3 cup avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon dried coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- 4 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 4 oz feta cheese, crumbled (regular or dairy-free)
- 1/4 cup red onions, diced (or sliced)
- 1 cup kalamata olives, pitted
- 1/2 red or orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup english cucumber, diced
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 2 tablespoons Greek Vinaigrette
- 2–3 cups rice, cooked
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1/2 cup tzatziki sauce (more if desired)*
- 2–3 pieces pita bread, cut into triangles
- garnish: lemon wedges, cracked black pepper and some fresh parsley
- Combine ingredients in a small bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Pat chicken thighs dry (trim excess skin, if necessary) and place in a reusable silicone bag or glass container. Pour marinade over top and ensure chicken is fully coated.Seal/cover and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place a large cast iron skillet on the stove-top and bring to medium-high heat. Add a tiny bit of oil to the pan, just enough to lightly coat the bottom.
- Once the pan is hot (it should sizzle if you flick some water on it) place the chicken thighs skin-side down into the pan and let sear 3-4 minutes or until the skin is nice and brown.
- Flip the chicken thighs over and then move the skillet to the oven (middle rack and uncovered). Let cook 15-20 minutes or until fully cooked (165 degree internal temperature). Let rest 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Combine feta, onion, olives, bell pepper, cucumber and tomatoes in a medium bowl. Add Greek Vinaigrette and toss to combine.
- Divide chicken, olive mixture, rice and avocado between bowls. Add a dollop of tzatziki sauce and add some slices of pita bread. Garnish with some quick-pickled onions, cracked black pepper, a bit of fresh parsley and some lemon wedges. Enjoy!
- *Tzatziki Sauce: feel free to use store-bought or try our homemade version!
- Grilled Chicken Option: to grill bring grill up to medium high heat (about 400 degrees F) and ensure grill grates are clean. Grill chicken on direct heat (directly over flame) for 3-4 minutes per side (the bigger the thigh the longer you will need to cook it), flipping once. Remove from grill once the internal temp has reached 165 degrees F. Let rest 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Boneless Chicken Thighs: you can easily use boneless chicken thighs instead of bone-in, just adjust cook time down and they will cook much faster.
- Serving Size: 6 oz
- Calories: 469
- Sugar: 4.6 g
- Sodium: 1170.6 mg
- Fat: 28.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 42.4 g
- Protein: 13.8 g
- Cholesterol: 30.6 mg
Keywords: greek chicken bowl
Leave a Rating & Comment