Follow along with our easy, step-by-step tutorial on How to Freeze Watermelon! It is so simple and you can really extend the life of your fresh watermelon to use in smoothies, spritzers, cocktails, sorbet, popsicles, etc!
The Best Way To Freeze Watermelon
Our family absolutely loves to enjoy plenty of fresh watermelon all summer long, but sometimes the grocery store or farmers market only has a really large watermelon. Now, if this is the case, don’t be intimidated! We have a complete tutorial on how to easily cut a whole watermelon and now we are going to show you how to freeze watermelon cubes to enjoy them for months to come in so many different recipes! It can be hard to eat an entire watermelon, no matter how much you love it, so we highly recommend that you toss some in the freezer.
What You Will Need
- fresh watermelon – summer is watermelon season and we absolutely love it! This process will work no matter if you have a seedless watermelon or one with seeds.
- parchment paper – a barrier between the juicy watermelon and the pan to prevent it from freezing right to it.
- cookie sheet – just grab a large baking sheet that will hold all of the watermelon cubes.
Place all of the watermelon cubes on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Put the entire sheet of watermelon in the freezer and let them freeze for 1-2 hours or until frozen all the way through.
Remove the pan from the freezer and transfer the frozen watermelon cubes to a zip top bag. We love using silicone storage bags (Stasher Bags) or you can use large Ziplock Bags. Store the frozen watermelon for up to 9-12 months!
What To Do With Frozen Watermelon
The best ways to use frozen watermelon or in beverages! Or at least that’s our favorite way to enjoy this sweet fruit. They are perfect for using in an Easy Watermelon Smoothie or in a Watermelon Cocktail on the patio or deck at the end of those hot summer days! Frozen watermelon can also be blended to make a sorbet, ice pop, popsicle, etc. It is the fruit of the summer after all!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
How to Freeze Watermelon – learn how to easily freeze watermelon with this step-by-step tutorial! Perfect for smoothies or a cold snack!
- 4 cups fresh watermelon, cut into 1 inch cubes
- parchment paper
- baking sheet
- Cut watermelon into 1 inch cubes, removing the rind.
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Place in the freezer, uncovered, for 1-2 hours or until completely frozen.
- Transfer to a freezer-safe bag and label. Store in the freezer.
- Use in our Watermelon Smoothie or eat plain for a refreshing summer snack!
- Storage: store in a freezer-safe storage container, labeled, for 9-12 months.
Keywords: how to freeze watermelon