Mussels in White Wine Sauce with Smoked Paprika and Crusty French Bread
Mmmmmm….. mussels in a buttery, white wine sauce that you can soak up with warm, crusty French bread. Try and tell me you don’t want to eat this all up. I know some people aren’t “mussel people” – frankly I don’t associate with those people – kidding! (kind of), but even those people would like this – I swear. I don’t know what is the best part, the buttery mussels or the bread soaked in the amazing, amazing sauce. Did I essentially drink some of the sauce with a large spoon – maybe. Don’t judge.
This is a great appetizer to have in your back-pocket, to really wow some dinner guests with. It is clean, classic and sophisticated, yet surprisingly quick as far as from the time cooking begins to plating. There is a bit of prep-work that goes into the mussels – click here for my 4 easy tips on preparing mussels. But once you have done your prep-work, the cooking goes incredibly fast.
After you have prepped your mussels and they are ready and waiting…. melt some butter – lots and lots of butter…
How to make mussels in white wine sauce:
Cut up your shallots.
Add them to your butter along with some garlic and olive oil – let the shallots cook down.
Add white wine and lemon juice.
Finally, add chopped parsley and – the secret ingredient – smoked paprika.
Let simmer for a bit and then add the mussels.
Cover immediately and let simmer for about 2 minutes or until mussels begin to open.
The sauce is heavenly!
Serve with warm, crusty French bread, lemon and garnish with fresh parsley.
They were delicious….
If you have always wanted to try to make this appetizer – now is the time! Let me know how it goes!
Don’t forget to check out my Instagram account for some behind-the-scenes action! Or give me a follow on Facebook or see what I am pinning on Pinterest!Print
Mussels in White Wine Sauce
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Seafood
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Mussels in White Wine Sauce – a classic dish that is packed with flavor! Don’t forget to sop up the sauce with some delicious bread!
- 2 pounds mussels
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 1Tablespoon olive oil
- 3–4 garlic cloves, diced
- 6 Tablespoons ghee
- 1 cup white wine (I used a chardonnay)
- 2 Teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 Teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley, loosely packed
- Ensure mussels are properly prepared and have soaked in water for 30 min.
- In a deep saute pan, add butter and let melt.
- Add shallots, garlic and olive oil.
- Let shallots sweat and soften – about 3 minutes while continuously stirring.
- Add white wine and lemon juice.
- Let simmer about 5 minutes.
- Add smoked paprika and fresh parsley.
- Stir and let simmer another 2 minutes.
- Add mussels and cover immediately – let simmer for 2 minutes or until mussels open.
- Spoon mussels into shallow bowl, pour sauce over the top and serve with fresh, warm, crusty French bread and lemon wedge.
Keywords: Mussels in White Wine Sauce
Leave a Rating & Comment