This simple Seared Scallop Salad is a light & refreshing salad option that is topped with fresh grapefruit, avocado, and a drizzle of olive oil on top! We love enjoying this healthy meal all summer long!
Easy Seared Scallop Salad With Grapefruit & Avocado
Just look at this salad you guys. Don’t you want to just grab a fork and go to town? (BTW – who knew scallops were good in salads?!). This salad is clean, simple and so healthy – not to mention flavorful. So, basically it has it all. I have been craving all the Whole30 salads because they are so much more than a salad. They are a meal – and this is no exception. Buy the biggest scallops you can – this salad will fill you up! And, it is easy enough to do on a weeknight! Win-win. My favorite thing about this salad, if I have to pick one, is the flavor/texture combination. The creamy avocado with the buttery seared scallops and then the tart/sweet grapefruit with a bit of green onion – sprinkle a little salt on top and drizzle with olive oil. It is just perfection for me.
What You Will Need
- large sea scallops – we go to the grocery store and find the largest scallops we can find – so good!
- mixed greens – this is the base of the salad and you can use any leafy greens that you want, romaine lettuce, spinach, kale, or keep it easy and grab a container of already mixed greens.
- ghee – a little in the skillet to sear the scallops. Option to use butter if that works for you!
- kosher salt – a simple seasoning for the scallops.
- avocado, grapefruit, & green onions – we love this combination of flavors and textures but feel free to top any way you want!
- extra virgin olive oil – just a drizzle on top of the salad for a nice light dressing.
How To Make A Seared Scallop Salad
To begin making this simple salad recipe, you will need to sear the large scallops. Bring a large cast iron skillet to medium heat, add the ghee, and cook the scallops for about 2-3 minutes on each side. Then all you have to do is assemble your salad and enjoy!
Can I Prep This Salad Ahead Of Time
Kind of… you could prep your greens and toppings and store them in refrigerator until you are ready to assemble your salad, but we would recommend waiting on the scallops. They cook so quickly and just don’t taste the same when they are warmed up.
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Don’t forget to check out my Instagram account for some behind-the-scenes action! Or give me a follow on Facebook or see what I am pinning on Pinterest!
Other Salad Recipes You Might Like
Seared Scallop Salad
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 1 salad 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Seared Scallop Salad + Grapefruit and Avocado is a simple, quick meal that is light and healthy!
- 1 cup mixed greens
- 4–5 large sea scallops
- 1–2 tablespoons ghee (or substitute with olive oil)
- pinch of kosher salt
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 grapefruit, sectioned
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Prep scallops: Remove scallops from packaging and pat dry with paper towel or clean dish towel; Ensure they are very dry before cooking.
- Sear scallops: Bring cast iron skillet to medium heat, melt ghee, sprinkle scallops with salt, and place scallops in the hot skillet to cook for 2-3 minutes per side.
- Prep salad: While scallops are cooking, place greens in bowl along with avocado, grapefruit and onions.
- Assemble: As soon scallops are done, assemble the salad in a bowl and place the scallops on top.
- Serving: Sprinkle salad with a little bit of salt and use as much or as little olive oil as you would like for your dressing.
- Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 6oz
- Calories: 197
- Sugar: 0.4 g
- Sodium: 577.4 mg
- Fat: 16.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 8.1 g
- Protein: 6 g
- Cholesterol: 17.9 mg
Keywords: seared scallop salad
You would love it!!
Bethany @ athletic avocado says
I’m literally obsessed with every ingredients in this salad! I know for a fact that avocado and grapefruit are an amazing pair, and I’m quite positive that scallops are also amazing with these flavors!
Thanks, Bethany! The flavors really do compliment each other! You have to try it ?