Steak Salad – a seriously delicious steak salad recipe (perfect for grilled steak) and topped with blueberries and blue cheese!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Simple – this super simple recipe can be tossed together in a matter of minutes and the flavor combination is out of this world!
- Real ingredients – this recipe is made with some seriously amazing real food ingredients and the best part is that you can change them up and play with different flavor combos.
- Meal prep – so easy to toss some steaks on the grill Sunday night, chop it up and pack in a lunch bag with the salad separated out into dishes!
What You Need For The Salad
- NY Strips, Ribeye, or Filet Mignon steaks – just grab your favorite – any type will work! Personally, I love a good NY Strip or Filet Mignon.
- Spring mix lettuce – the perfect base to a great salad.
- Blue cheese crumbles – in my opinion you can never go wrong with blue cheese crumbles on a salad! That slight tangy and salty flavor is just amazing!
- Blueberries & dried cranberries – a little fresh and dried fruit to add some sweetness!
- Walnuts, chopped – perfect for a little added crunch!
This homemade balsamic dressing is so simple. All you need is:
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Dijon mustard
- Almond milk
- Salt & pepper
It is so easy to come together and you probably already have all the ingredients at home! We warn you, after you try it once you will never go back 😉 However if you are looking for a great store-bought balsamic dressing – we love this one!
How To Grill The Perfect Steak
This is really much simpler than you think! Simply grab your favorite cut of meat and checkout our post – Grill the Perfect Steak! In this salad recipe we didn’t use a marinade for the steak but if that is your thing we have a great marinade you should try too before putting the steak on the grill!
Steak Salad Toppings
For this recipe we went with fresh blueberries, dried cranberries, blue cheese crumbles, and chopped walnuts but you could easily add or substitute any of your favorite salad toppings like avocado or red onions!
This is such a great meal prep option for lunches during the week! You can throw a couple steaks on the grill Sunday night, chop them into bite-size pieces, and separate the salad into separate lunch containers. Just make sure to keep your steak, salad, and dressing separate so that you can easily heat up the steak and so that your salad doesn’t get soggy from the dressing.
How to Make Easy Steak Salad
Step One – Grill your steaks.
Step Two – Gather your salad toppings.
Step Three – Mix together your balsamic dressing ingredients (of course, feel free to buy store-bought too if you want).
Step Four – Place all of your salad ingredients in a bowl.
Step Five – Drizzle with the dressing and enjoy!
Recipe FAQs and Tips
- Steaks: we love using a NY Strip or Filet Mignon but any steak will work!
- How much steak for each person? Generally a serving of steak is about 3-4oz.
- Steak leftovers: Grilled steak will be good in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Non-grilling option: Feel free to cook your steak however you want! You can even just use some leftovers you have in the fridge! But pan-frying your steak would work great too!
- Balsamic Dressing: We have a great Balsamic Vinaigrette on the blog that we are linking to here and that is include in the recipe card, but here is a great store-bought one from a little tiny store in Minnesota I love!
- Salad Add-Ins: You can add anything to this salad that sounds good to you – we also love avocado and red onion!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Easy Steak Salad – a seriously delicious steak salad recipe (perfect for grilled steak) and topped with blueberries and blue cheese!
- (2) 1-inch thick New York Strips, Ribeye or Filet Mignon steaks
- kosher salt
- ground black pepper
Homemade Balsamic Dressing (optional – feel free to use any balsamic dressing):
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoon almond milk
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 4 cups packed spring mix lettuce
- 1 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Follow our directions here for How to Grill Steak.
- Once steak has been grilled let it rest for 5 minutes and then cut into cubes (or strips).
Homemade Balsamic Dressing:
- Combine ingredients in small mixing bowl (or small mason jar).
- Whisk or shake well to combine.
- Divide lettuce, blue cheese, blueberries, walnuts and dried cranberries between four bowls.
- Once your steak has rested, cut into slices or cubes and divide between bowls.
- Serve with balsamic vinaigrette (or just a thick balsamic vinegar).
- How much steak per person: a serving a steak is generally around 3-4oz.
- Best kind of steak for salad: honestly you can’t go wrong, but I would say a NY Strip or a Filet Mignon would be my favorite for a steak salad.
- Non-Grilling Option: Feel free to cook your steak however you want! You can even just use some leftovers you have in the fridge! But pan-frying your steak would work great too!
- Balsamic Vinaigrette: We have a great Balsamic Vinaigrette on the blog that we are linking to here and that is include in the recipe card, but here is a great store-bought one from a little tiny store in Minnesota I love!
- Salad Add-Ins: avocado or red onion would also be really good here!
Keywords: steak salad, steak salad recipe