Fettuccine with Mussels, Clams and Bay Scallops in White Wine Sauce – an light, savory seafood pasta that is perfect for any special occasion (dairy-free)!
This long-time favorite on The Wooden Skillet has finally been re-vamped!
You guys this recipe was originally published on February 26, 2016. Whaaaat?! I can’t believe it was that long ago! But since then it has really become a staple on the blog; routinely in my top 5 visited recipes month after month. And it has a special place in my heart – it is honestly one of my favorite recipes. As you guys are well aware of now, I am allergic to dairy. Well, whenever I go to an Italian restaurant this is the recipe I want to order. I want a delicious bowl of perfectly cooked pasta, dripping in a dairy-free white wine sauce and covered in mussels, clams and scallops (you could throw in some shrimp and I wouldn’t be mad either). But no matter what restaurant I go to, there is cream involved in their version of this recipe so I can never order it! This is my perfect bowl of pasta (and I don’t eat pasta that often, but when I do, it looks like this).
I thought now would be the perfect time to update it because this is the perfect Valentine’s Day recipe!! It is actually incredibly easy to make and is ALWAYS a hit. Feel free to use gluten-free pasta as well!!
Quick tip – read my tutorial on how to prepare and debeard mussels quick so you can be a pro!
I updated the recipe a bit and updated the photos, but just for fun a kept two of the originals down below …. for sentimental purposes. You guys I had no idea what I was doing: I didn’t even know what a photography board was, I didn’t understand light, I am sure I was using an automatic mode on my camera… man I have come a long way. And it is kind of fun to see the comparison. Let me know what you guys think!
…. and the older versions….
Hope you guys are having an awesome week!!
- 1 box high quality fettuccine or pappardelle (feel free to use gluten free)
- 1 pound mussels
- ½ pound clams
- ½ pound bay scallops
- 3 Tablespoons ghee (feel free to sub butter), divided
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1 Teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ¼ cup very loosely packed chopped, fresh parsley
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- kosher salt, to taste (I added approximately 1 Teaspoon)
- Prepare, clean and soak mussels and clams.
- In large pot, boil water and begin cooking pasta - set timer to ensure you are notified when it is cooked al dente.
- In separate, deep saute pan, melt ghee on medium heat.
- Add 1 Tablespoon olive oil, shallots and garlic.
- Let the shallots and garlic cook about 2 minutes on high while stirring constantly.
- Add white wine, lemon juice and parsley; stir.
- Add clams and cover while mixture simmers, for 3 minutes.
- Check pasta.
- Remove cover quickly and add mussels, bay scallops and tomato.
- Cover again for an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove cover, stir and add a dash of kosher salt, to taste.
- Let simmer, stirring occasionally for 3-5 minutes to ensure scallops are fully cooked.
- If you haven't already, strain pasta when cooked al dente and return to same pot and immediately add 1 Tablespoon ghee and 1 Tablespoon of olive oil; toss to coat.
- Add seafood mixture with all broth to pot of pasta and toss well.
- Serve immediately with warm French bread, if desired.