This quick and delicious Salsa Verde Chicken recipe that is so easy!! It can be made in a crockpot or Instant Pot with only 5 real, simple ingredients. Perfect for making into chicken tacos, rice bowls, or chicken enchiladas!
Best Ever Salsa Verde Chicken
This Salsa Verde Chicken can be made in the slow cooker OR Instant Pot!! Either way its amazing!
You guys know I am all about the simple and delicious meals … well this one is no exception. There are about 5 ingredients (plus salt and pepper) and the result is AMAZING! Perfect for a crowd, meal prep, anything. The flavor level and quality is going to be directly related to the kind of salsa verde you use. I actually have an awesome Salsa Verde Recipe on the blog already (an oldie but a goodie), but feel free to go grab something from the grocery store. There are lots of amazing options, most of which I have found are actually Whole30/Paleo.
Why This Recipe Works
- Easy: truly a set it and forget it kind of recipe, which we all love -right?
- Versatile: serve it in a rice bowl for a yummy paleo dinner or use it in some healthy enchiladas!
- Delicious: there is so much flavor packed in here!
What You Will Need
- avocado Oil: or you could use olive oil too.
- minced shallot: this will add a little extra flavor! Regular onion would work too, but I prefer the taste of shallot for this recipe.
- minced garlic: everything is always better with a little garlic.
- kosher salt and pepper: a simple seasoning that’s a must when making chicken.
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts: we love using chicken breasts for this recipe, but you could also use boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
- salsa verde: (feel free to make your own or purchase it)
How To Make Salsa Verde Chicken In An Instant Pot
To begin you can turn the sauté function on, add a splash of avocado or olive oil, and add the shallots, garlic, salt, and pepper. Move around and cook for 1-2 minutes. Next, add the chicken breasts and salsa verde to the pot. Seal the lid on top and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Let it naturally release the pressure for 10 minutes and then manually release the rest.
How To Make Salsa Verde Chicken In A Slow Cooker
First, grab a small saucepan, drizzle with some avocado or olive oil, and bring it to a medium high heat. Now add the minced shallots and garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes and then add it to the slow cooker with the chicken breasts and salsa verde. Set the slow cooker to the high setting for 3-4 hours or the low setting for 6-8 hours.
Is Salsa Verde Chicken Spicy
That really depends on the salsa verde you use!!! Most of the salsa verde recipes I have tried really aren’t too spicy, but just taste them before you use! Here is a fun article from The Kitchn highlighting a couple store-bought salsa brands if you want to get inspired!
How To Serve Salsa Verde Chicken
No matter how you serve it, it will be delicious! Here are a few of our favorite ways to serve it:
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Salsa Verde Chicken – a quick and delicious meal that is so easy to meal prep!! Perfect for making into rice bowls, tacos, or enchiladas.
- 1–2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- kosher salt and pepper
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 14–16oz salsa verde (feel free to make your own or purchase it)
- Bring saute pan to medium high heat on stove and add oil to coat the pan.
- Add garlic and shallots. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and then stir while allowing them to cook, about 2 minutes.
- Scrape shallot and garlic into crock pot. Add chicken breasts and pour salsa verde on top.
- Cook on High for 3-4 hours or on Low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred with fork.
- Return to slow cooker.
- Set to Saute Function.
- Once hot, add oil and allow to coat the pan.
- Add shallots and garlic and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Stir and allow to cook, about 1-2 minutes.
- Turn off Saute Function.
- Add chicken and then pour the salsa verde over top.
- Move the chicken around so each piece is fully coated.
- Ensure Instant Pot is set to Sealing and then cook on High Pressure for 20 minutes.
- Naturally release pressure for 10 minutes and then carefully manually release.
- Remove chicken from the Instant Pot and set onto a plate. Use a fork to shred the chicken and then return it to the pot.
- Mix the shredded chicken back into the salsa verde mixture.
- Feel free to add fresh cilantro or lime juice, as desired, to intensify flavor.
- Serve immediately or store in refrigerator in airtight container for 3-5 days.
- IP: Always follow your Instant Pot directions for use.
- Serving suggestions: make a salsa verde chicken rice bowl (or use cauliflower rice with avocado, limes, fresh cilantro and dairy free sour cream). You can make salsa verde chicken tacos or use the chicken to make salsa verde enchiladas!
- For Whole30/Paleo – just double check your ingredients on store-bought salsa verde. I have actually had really good luck finding it though! Otherwise I have this recipe too! For serving suggestions, make a cauliflower rice bowl!
- Nutrition Facts: the provided estimated nutrition facts does NOT include serving sides such as rice, cauliflower rice, sour cream, etc.
- Serving Size: 1/2 shredded chicken breast
- Calories: 55
- Sugar: 1.9 g
- Sodium: 599.5 mg
- Fat: 2.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 3.9 g
- Protein: 3.9 g
- Cholesterol: 10.3 mg
Keywords: salsa verde chicken, salsa verde chicken recipe