Salsa Verde Chicken – a quick and delicious meal that is so easy to meal prep!!
(Whole30, Paleo, Dairy-Free)
This Salsa Verde Chicken can be made in the slow cooker OR Instant Pot!! Either way its amazing!
You guys know I am all about the simple and delicious meals … well this one is no exception! There are about 6 ingredients (plus salt and pepper) and the result is AMAZING! Perfect for a crowd, meal prep, anything! The flavor level and quality is going to be directly related to the kind of salsa verde you use. I actually have an awesome Salsa Verde Recipe on the blog already (an oldie but a goodie), but feel free to go grab something from the store!! There are lots of amazing options the most of which I have found are actually Whole30/Paleo!!
This Recipe is
- Easy: truly a set it and forget it kind of recipe, which we all love -right?
- Versatile: serve it in a rice bowl for a yummy paleo dinner or use it in some healthy enchiladas!
- Delicious: there is so much flavor packed in here!
What do I Need
- Avocado Oil: or you could use olive oil too\.
- Minced Shallot: this will add a little extra flavor! Regular onion would work too, but I prefer the taste of shallot for this recipe.
- Minced Garlic: because who doesn’t want garlic
- Salt and Pepper: for a little extra flavor
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts: just simple chicken breasts
- Salsa Verde: (feel free to make your own or purchase it)
How to Serve it
Here are my favorite ways to serve it:
- Rice Bowls (use cauliflower rice if Whole30/Paleo)
Is it spicy?
That really depends on the salsa verde you use!!! Most of the salsa verde recipes I have tried really aren’t too spicy, but just taste them before you use! Here is a fun article from The Kitchn highlighting a couple store-bought salsa brands if you want to get inspired!
Other recipes you might like:
- Slow Cooker Jerk Chicken (Whole30/Paleo)
- Slow Cooker Applesauce
- Smoked Pork Shoulder (Slow Cooker Instructions)
Salsa Verde Chicken – a quick and delicious meal that is so easy to meal prep!! (Whole30, Paleo, Dairy-Free)
- 1–2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- salt and pepper
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 14–16oz salsa verde (feel free to make your own or purchase it)
- Bring saute pan to medium high heat on stove and add oil to coat the pan.
- Add garlic and shallots. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and then stir while allowing them to cook, about 2 minutes.
- Scrape shallot and garlic into crock pot. Add chicken breasts and pour salsa verde on top.
- Cook on High for 3-4 hours or on Low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred with fork.
- Return to slow cooker.
- Set to Saute Function.
- Once hot, add oil and allow to coat the pan.
- Add shallots and garlic and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Stir and allow to cook, about 1-2 minutes.
- Turn off Saute Function.
- Add chicken and then pour the salsa verde over top.
- Move the chicken around so each piece is fully coated.
- Ensure Instant Pot is set to Sealing and then cook on High Pressure for 20 minutes.
- Naturally release pressure for 10 minutes and then carefully manually release.
- Remove chicken from the Instant Pot and set onto a plate. Use a fork to shred the chicken and then return it to the pot.
- Mix the shredded chicken back into the salsa verde mixture.
- Feel free to add fresh cilantro or lime juice, as desired, to intensify flavor.
- Serve immediately or store in refrigerator in airtight container for 3-5 days.
- IP: Always follow your Instant Pot directions for use.
- Serving suggestions: make a salsa verde chicken rice bowl (or use cauliflower rice with avocado, limes, fresh cilantro and dairy free sour cream). You can make salsa verde chicken tacos or use the chicken to make salsa verde enchiladas!
- For Whole30/Paleo – just double check your ingredients on store-bought salsa verde. I have actually had really good luck finding it though! Otherwise I have this recipe too! For serving suggestions, make a cauliflower rice bowl!
Keywords: salsa verde chicken, salsa verde chicken recipe