Broccoli Casserole with cream of mushroom soup is one of those side dishes that makes everyone from your littlest dinner guests to the grandparents happy and content. The crunchy broccoli paired with creamy cheese, butter, and mayo is simply irresistible.
Add this broccoli casserole recipe to your Thanksgiving menu ASAP and check out our other favorite Thanksgiving side dishes to create a feast to remember.
The Best Broccoli Casserole Recipe Ever
No, we’re not exaggerating with that headline. Broccoli casserole with fresh broccoli and the creamiest soup, cheese, and butter, will have mouths watering the second it hits the table. Plus, this recipe can be made ahead of time in under an hour, leaving you ample time to concentrate on your other Thanksgiving sides, desserts, and of course the Turkey.
You might even want to make a double batch because we all know that leftovers are one of the best parts of the holiday season. Move over Green Bean Casserole .. you have got some serious competition this year!
- broccoli – This hearty vegetable is mild in flavor and pairs perfectly with all of the creamy ingredients – we steam the broccoli first to make sure it soft and delicious.
- cream of mushroom soup – Pick up a can of our favorite brand at your local grocery store or try out our homemade dairy-free cream of mushroom soup recipe.
- mayo – Who can say no to another layer of creaminess and a slight tangy flavor. If you’re feeling ambitious, use our basic Whole30 mayo.
- cheddar cheese – This is our favorite variety, but feel free to customize with a different sharp cheese variety like Gruyere, Parmesan, Asiago, or Gouda.
- Ritz crackers – Crunchy, flakey, and the perfect topping to this classic recipe.
- butter – A necessary addition to get your Ritz crackers extra crispy on the top.
Broccoli Casserole Made Ahead Of Time
Make this broccoli casserole ahead of time by assembling all of the ingredients together as mentioned in the recipe card, saving the ritz cracker topping for when you’re ready to bake. Once assembled, cover and place your casserole in the fridge for a day or two in advance. When you’re ready to bake, let it come to room temperature for about 30 minutes on a countertop, add the Ritz topping, and cook as directed.
How To Make Broccoli Casserole
Start by steaming the broccoli by filling a saucepan with just enough water to cover the bottom. Add your steam basket on top of our sauce pan and place your broccoli inside of the steam basket. Cover and bring to a boil and steam until your broccoli is quite tender.
Drain the broccoli and place it into the bottom of a casserole dish. Pour your cream of mushroom soup, mayo, and cheddar cheese over the top and stir to combine.
Recipe Tip: Shred Your Own Cheese
Pre-shredded cheese contains additives to keep it from clumping together in the bag. For the creamiest, melty cheese, take the extra minute or so to shred your own cheese using a simple cheese grater. Plus, you usually get more for your money buying block cheese vs. pre-shredded.
Crush up your Ritz crackers and cover them over the top of your casserole.
Finally, drizzle with melted butter to get the crunchiest, golden brown topping.
Place in the oven, middle rack and uncovered, for approx. 30 minutes or until nice and bubbly.
Let cool for a few minutes and enjoy!
Recipe FAQs + Recipe Variations
- dairy-free: Make this recipe dairy free by using a dairy-free cream of mushroom soup, dairy-free cheese and vegan butter.
- gluten-free: Make this recipe gluten-free by using a gluten-free version of Ritz or a similar gluten free cracker.
- storage: Once cooled, store this casserole in an air-tight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!Print
Broccoli Casserole – a delicious and easy side dish for any meal (but perfect for Thanksgiving or the Holidays) – a family favorite recipe!
- 6–8 cups broccoli florets, steamed
- 1 10oz can cream of mushroom soup (or homemade – see Notes)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup freshly grated cheddar cheese, divided (more if desired)
- 1 cup Ritz crackers, roughly crushed
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add a steaming basket to a saucepan and fill the bottom with water. Add broccoli. Cover and bring to a boil. Steam until broccoli are quite tender. Drain.
- Add broccoli to an 11-inch oval dish (or comparable square baking pan) along with cream of mushroom soup, mayo and cheddar cheese. Stir to combine.
- Cover with crushed crackers and drizzle melted butter on top.
- Place in the oven, middle rack and uncovered, for approx. 30 minutes or until nice and bubbly.
- Remove and let cool slightly before serving.
- Cream of Mushroom Soup: I like this one!
- Dairy-Free Cream of Mushroom Soup: we have a tried-and-true recipe for Dairy-Free Cream of Mushroom Soup if you want to sub that in.
- Mayo: feel free to use what you prefer – we do have a homemade mayo HERE!
- Dairy-Free: to make this dairy-free use a dairy-free cream of mushroom soup (like the one linked above), dairy-free cheese and vegan butter.
- Gluten-Free: to make this gluten-free use a gluten-free version of Ritz crackers (or something similar).
- Storage: store leftover in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Keywords: broccoli casserole