Follow along to learn How to Steam Broccoli perfectly every time! We have including options for steaming in the microwave and on the stovetop. A simple and classic side dish that is perfect for any weeknight dinner!
Easy Steamed Broccoli Recipe
Sometimes the best things are simple things. This perfectly steamed broccoli is just that! A super simple side dish that goes well with everything from blackened salmon to grilled pork tenderloin. It is easy enough for a quick weeknight dinner and can be topped or seasoned with just about anything for a ton of great flavor! The whole family is going to love the simplicity of this one.
We also love serving steamed asparagus and steamed green beans!
What You Will Need
- broccoli florets – we highly recommend using fresh broccoli florets that are trimmed into bite-sized pieces, but you can also use frozen broccoli florets if you’re in a pinch.
- water – heating up the water is going to provide the steam needed to cook the broccoli.
- kosher salt & pepper – simple seasonings that are perfect for broccoli, but feel free to add other seasonings too!
- butter – this is completely optional but adds a little flavor after the broccoli is cooked.
How To Steam Broccoli On The Stovetop
This is very simple process starts by trimming your broccoli florets and grabbing some water.
Place your steamer basked in a medium saucepan.
Now place your broccoli florets in the steaming basket and add enough water to cover the bottom of the pan.
Turn the burner up to medium-high heat so that the water boils. Cover and cook the broccoli like this for about 4-6 minutes or until it reaches your desired softness.
Season with kosher salt, pepper, and add a little butter (if you are using it). Enjoy with any of your favorite foods!
How to Steam Broccoli in Microwave
Place your freshly trimmed broccoli in a microwave safe dish and add 1/4-1/2 cup water to the medium-sized bowl.
Place a plate over the top of the bowl and microwave on high for 2 1/2 – 4 minutes or until it has reached your desired softness.
Drain the water, season, and serve!
Best Ways To Season Steamed Broccoli
We kept this recipe super simple with kosher salt and ground pepper, but you can easily dress-up your broccoli with other seasonings and toppings to bring them to the next level. We love adding some garlic powder, lemon juice or lemon zest, red pepper flakes for a little kick, or sprinkle on some parmesan cheese!
How Should I Serve Steamed Broccoli
This easy steamed broccoli can be served with just about anything! There are so many great recipes that are also perfect for a weeknight dinner. We love enjoying it with Teriyaki Salmon, Orange Chicken Meatballs, Smoked Shrimp, & Oven Baked Pork Chops.
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Don’t forget to check out my Instagram account for some behind-the-scenes action! Or give me a follow on Facebook or see what I am pinning on Pinterest!
How to Steam Broccoli (how long to steam broccoli)
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
How to Steam Broccoli – learn how to steam broccoli with this simple recipe! Stove top and microwave options included! So easy!
- 2–3 cups broccoli florets, trimmed and washed
- salt and pepper to taste
- butter (optional)
- Place steamer basket or colander in the bottom of a saucepan.
- Add enough water to cover the bottom of the pan (approx. 1/2 cup).
- Place broccoli florets inside. Place cover on top and bring to a boil.
- Boil 2-3 minutes and then open and stir to toss the broccoli. Cover let boil another 2-3 minutes or until the broccoli is firm but tender. If you want your broccoli even softer simply continue steaming for 1 minute intervals until it has reached your desired tenderness.
- Remove from heat and drain excess water.
- Serve as-is, with salt and pepper, butter or use in your favorite recipe.
- Microwave Method: place 1/4-1/2 cup water in a microwave safe bowl; add broccoli and cover with plate; microwave on HIGH 2 1/2 – 4 minutes or until broccoli is tender but firm; drain excess water and serve.
- Steamer Basket: if you don’t have a steamer basket you can just skip it and place the broccoli right in the water – I do it all the time and it works just fine! Or you can use a colander.
- Storage: store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Keywords: how to steam broccoli, how long to steam broccoli
Leave a Rating & Comment