A perfectly, spicy Chipotle Seasoning that is so versatile you can use it as a dry rub for chicken, steak, seafood, or add it to your favorite soup or sauce for some added heat. It can be made as spicy as you want it to be, just adjust the amount of chipotle powder to your preferred heat level.
The Best Homemade Chipotle Seasoning
If you love to cook with a little heat, this is the seasoning for you! In only 5 minutes you can take 9 spices from your spice cupboard and mix them up to make a deliciously, spicy dry rub that can be used to season smoked chicken legs, grilled shrimp, oven baked chicken wings, or any other meat you want. We love using it on grilled chicken breasts for a Santa Fe Salad!
We also have a great Blackened Seasoning, if you like seasonings with a little kick!
What You Will Need
- chipotle powder – this is a powder created by grinding up smoke-dried jalapeño peppers – depending on how much you use, it can get real spicy real quick!
- chili powder, ground cumin, & paprika – these also add a more mild heat with a touch of smokiness.
- kosher salt & pepper – always a must when making a homemade seasoning.
- dried oregano leaves – this adds a bit of an earthy flavor.
- garlic powder & onion powder – more staple seasonings when making an homemade mixture.
How To Use Chipotle Seasoning
Simply mix all the ingredients together, adjust the flavors and spice level to your liking, use in your favorite recipe or store for later. We love rub this all over some chicken breasts to cook on the grill or cast iron. It adds the perfect amount of smokiness with a little spice!
This homemade seasoning can simply be stored in an airtight container in the pantry for up to 6 months!
How To Make Chipotle Seasoning
First, gather your spices.
Then mix them together.
And use it any way you want!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
- 1 teaspoon – 1 tablespoon chipotle powder*
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- *chipotle powder: if you want a lighter spice stick with just a teaspoon or less of the chipotle powder … if you want it VERY spicy, use the full tablespoon.
- Storage: keep it in an airtight container in the pantry for up to 6 months.
Keywords: chipotle seasoning