This smooth and creamy Blueberry Banana Smoothie is packed with nutrients and real-food ingredients. The perfect way to start the day or enjoy as a healthy afternoon snack!
The Best Blueberry Banana Smoothie
Our family absolutely loves a good smoothie recipe and this one has definitely been in the rotation! So easy to throw together and my girls absolutely love it! One of the best parts is that you can easily toss just about anything in the blender to amp up the nutrients and you never even taste it. They are definitely our go-to recipe for a quick and easy breakfast or after school snack. Creamy, delicious, and dairy-free!
Looking for another easy smoothie recipe? Try our Strawberry Banana Smoothie!!
What You Will Need
- frozen banana – we are always tossing over ripe bananas in the freezer to have them on hand when making smoothies – for more info, checkout our post on how to freeze bananas.
- frozen blueberries – we also have a simple tutorial on how to freeze blueberries!
- ground flax & chia seeds – you won’t taste them and they really amp up the nutrient level.
- vanilla extract – just a little bit for some added flavor.
- unsweetened almond milk – great for keeping it dairy-free and smooth, but you could also use regular milk.
- creamy almond butter – added for a little added flavor and a little for the creamy texture.
- optional – collagen or protein powder of your choice, handful of ice, yogurt, or a handful of spinach or kale.
Are Blueberry Banana Smoothies Good for You
Yes, but it also depends what other ingredients you have in there! I think the big thing to watch with smoothies is the sugar content – when they are made up of mainly juice and yogurt I think you can run into a too-much-sugar issue. In this smoothie, there is no added juice and no yogurt (feel free to add a little just be aware of the sugar content in the yogurt you buy, that’s all!). Beyond the blueberries and banana, the ingredients are sugar-free and full of fiber and other nutrients!
How To Make a Blueberry Banana Smoothie
To start making this easy smoothie recipe, gather all the ingredients that you want to use.
Place all of those ingredients in a high powered blender or food processor.
Now blend it on the high setting for 1-2 minutes or until it reaches a smooth consistency. Pour into a glass and enjoy!
Best Ways To Serve A Blueberry Banana Smoothie
This hearty smoothie could be enjoyed all by itself as a meal, depending on all the ingredients you choose to add-in. But you could also serve it with something else to round out your breakfast. We love enjoying them with some paleo banana bread, apple cinnamon muffins, or healthy egg cups!
- Toppings: top with additional blueberries, your favorite granola, coconut flakes or cereal!
- What if I don’t have frozen blueberries or frozen bananas: the smoothie will still work without frozen blueberries or frozen bananas – just don’t expect it to be quite as thick. Adding a handful of frozen ice will help thicken it up more though!
- Can I add yogurt? Yes! Feel free to add a scoop of yogurt or too if you like! This will also thicken it up more.
- Meal Prep: feel free to prep this ahead of time by placing banana, blueberries, flax, and chia seeds in a freezer-safe storage bag the night before. Then add to your blender along with almond milk, almond butter, vanilla extract and any collagen/protein powder you like!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Blueberry Banana Smoothie – A simple and delicious blueberry banana smoothie that’s packed with nutrients!
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 tablespoon ground flax
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 – 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon creamy almond butter
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- optional: collagen or protein powder of your choice
- optional: handful of ice (optional, but I would recommend if your banana isn’t frozen)
- Combine ingredients in a high-powered blender.
- Blend on HIGH 1-2 minutes.
- Stop blending and scrape down sides, if needed, and continue blending until smooth.
- If too thick for your liking, add another splash of almond milk or filtered water.
- If not thick enough, add handful of ice and blend some more.
- Fresh bananas & blueberries: the smoothie will still work without frozen blueberries or frozen bananas – just don’t expect it to be quite as thick. Adding a handful of frozen ice will help thicken it up more though!
- Serving Size: this makes one large smoothie or two small smoothies
- Serving Size: 6oz
- Calories: 219
- Sugar: 15.3 g
- Sodium: 51.2 mg
- Fat: 9.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 30.6 g
- Protein: 5.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: blueberry banana smoothie