Easy Paleo Chocolate Chip Banana Bread – it will become a Sunday morning staple!
Anyone else love making banana bread on the weekend and having your kids wake up to the smell of that chocolate and banana melting together …..
Because that is one of my favorite things to do. There is something about seeing their faces light up with excitement when they smell that familiar aroma and they run downstairs, peering into the lit up oven to see if it is done. And then that first bite of fresh, warm bread…. it rocks my world. (…and then wiping the chocolate off of their face and hands … and everything else!).
I have used the same recipe for ages to make banana bread. But, as always, I have changed and tweaked the recipe over time. I have just recently gotten into paleo-baking quite a bit more and so I wondered what would happen if I gave my beloved banana bread recipe a paleo-makeover…..
It was amazing! I looked at the original recipe, which is from a cookbook called Cooking with Confidence, and it called for 1 cup of granulated sugar! This recipe (obviously) doesn’t have any added sugar and it was PLENTY sweet. Between the banana and chocolate chips, I was good in the sugar department. (side bar: I had store-bought ketchup today because I just didn’t have any Whole30 ketchup on hand ….. oh my gosh. So sweet. It is so interesting how your tastebuds change after doing Whole30!). Anyways, the kiddos tried the bread – they LOVED it! I think I will be making another batch this weekend (and the weekend after that and the weekend after that….).
I know you guys will love this one – and your entire families will too!!
If you are looking for more breakfast Inspo – check out these Whole30 American Fries (and the story of how Whole30 changed my Dad’s life!) Hope you guys have had a good start to your week!!!
- 1 3/4 cup mashed bananas (about 3 large)
- 1 egg, beaten (room temperature)
- 1 1/2 cups paleo flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill Paleo Baking Flour)
- 1 Teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 Teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 Tablespoons ghee, melted
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup semi-sweet/dairy-free chocolate chips (you decide how chocolate-y you want them!)
- Optional: have an extra banana that is ripe to garnish the top
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Grease 9 x 5 x 3 inch loach pan; set aside.
- Measure mashed bananas into a medium bowl.
- Add beaten egg; mix well.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, soda, and salt.
- Stir the flour mixture into the banana mixture.
- Mix in chocolate chips; stir to combine.
- Mix in melted ghee.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Optional: take extra banana and carefully cut a think strip and place on the top of the loaf; gently pressing down into the dough with the palm of your hand.
- Bake 1 hour, or until toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Let rest 5 minutes in the pan; carefully use spatula to loosen sides and then carefully turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting all things The Wooden Skillet.